How far do cerebellar tonsils descend?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How far do cerebellar tonsils descend?

Postby dcoxy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:18 am

I'm new to all this and am wondering how far other people's cerebellar tonsils descend. Mine are at 24 mm. My symptoms have started to get pretty bad within the past 2 months so i don't know if they have descended more recently.

dcoxy
dcoxy

Postby Gracie Rose » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:37 am

Hi,

I have only ever heard of 26 mm. Yours is pretty long !! I have heard of folks with a few mm with horrendous symptoms and some with 20mm with NONE !! Amazing.

You may not necessarily have any more herniation with a worsening of symptoms but anatomically, things may be pushing other things, or possible blockages may be occuring or getting worse.

If you are getting worse a visit to the NS is a good thought.

Good Luck,

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby cash71 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:55 am

From what I've read size does not necessarily matter. A long thin tonsil can still allow plenty of CSF flow around it thru the foramen wheras, short fat tonsils can severely block flow. There also many other factors that play a role. I know as my tonsils are at the level of the foramen(not below) and yet I have so many chiari symptoms. I am having a CINE MRI in several weeks to try and figure out where there is a blockage and what can be done about it.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby dcoxy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:29 pm

I understand the length does not determine the symptoms but does it affect the actual surgery? Isn't the main purpose of the sugery to make room so things can flow right? So the further the descent of the tonsils the more room they need to make. does this make any sense?
dcoxy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders