Staggering walk again

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Staggering walk again

Postby kathymichelle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:53 am

For quite a while after PFD surgery I was walking a straight line, now I am walking like a Saturday night drunk at closing time.
No, its not the meds...I am on less and less meds..it can be almost any time, and I get tangled up in my legs.

I hate this. When I am around 'normals' I am sure they think I am 'impaired' when I know or don't think I am, or am I??

Are more of Chiari symptoms coming back? That was a big one. And now its been over a week and its getting more pronounced. My DH would walk beside to keep me in a straight line. Now he is out of state so I have no one to help me in the straight line walking. I walk with my head down to try and make sure that the way I am walking is straight. I don't want to trip over things.

I hate this!! If I got stopped driving, they would def think I was drunk. Thank God I don't drink!

Anyone else have this symptom? And after PFD? Should I notify my NSG?
Thanks all..
kathymichelle

Postby Janice » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Good Morning,

I haven't had surgery but it sounds like something you should let your NSG know about. I know it's hard because most times they tell us to keep them posted on chances and then we tell them and there's nothing they can do but at least they are aware of what's happening. I think there are just things they know they can't change yet things that they have to be aware regardless.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby kathymichelle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:42 pm

It seems little. I will probably notify the nurse and see what she says.

Sigh, never ending. I still haven't had a good CINE MRI since my insurance isn't covering it. I got a bad surprise when I went for my check-back and they(imaging place) said they no longer accepted Aetna.

That was Manhasset Imaging. I know they have to get paid.

This is all so frustrating. I guess I need to get out and walk more and concentrate on walking that line.
kathymichelle

Postby mac » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:47 pm

KM...you should email your NSG and tell him about this and ask what he thinks? He may rx the CINE...will your insurance deny him this diagnostic tool if he needs it? That seems just plain wrong...you can have the CINE done at a different place than MD...how about UW?

I know you will not like my next idea, but maybe walking with a cane would help you to keep lined out. Not to lean on, but just for feeling the ground better. I don't think it's a good thing with all you have going on to walk with your head down! (neck hyper flexed) I think you might end up with inc. in sx...

Knowing you like I do, you won't want a cane!! But it might help, you could just try? If anyone asks what happened when they see the cane, just tell them nothing happened, you just keep your whiskey in it!

hugs
mac
mac

Postby kathymichelle » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:56 pm

Grrr...

and grrr again.

You have some valid points. I won't dismiss it, but I want to investigate WHY this is happening...why are some symptoms coming back?

kind of disappointing.

yeah. More than kind of.

Thanks hon fer yer honesty.
kathymichelle

Postby kiminfla » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 pm

KM, Sorry to read of your continued struggles. I'd send an e-mail and let the NS know, at least then they have documentationa as to when you experienced what, so your file can be up to date. We're here for you! (and I sent you a pm). Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby specialmomx2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Kathy,
Have you ever had you B12 levels checked? A staggering walk can be a sympthom of deficiency.

-Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

Postby Gracie Rose » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:31 am

Hi,

Harborbiew in Seattle does cine MRI's and they also have financial aid if needed. I go to MDI too, but my some of our children see Dr. Ellenbogen and he sends adults to Harborview.

Hope that helps,

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders