Knee's hurting.......

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Knee's hurting.......

Postby Raindrops » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Do you think this could be a symptom?

I have SM & CM and the past few years my right knee has been hurting now and then, but the past few months both of them have been hurting really bad. It's hard for me to squat or get up after sitting for long periods of time.

Thanks,
Raindrops
Raindrops

Postby kittb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:17 pm

I don't know if it's a symptom, but i've had bad knees for years. I'd be interested in knowing too.
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

knees

Postby razzle51 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:49 pm

That sounds like good ole Arthritis. But then you never know.

I have found a list of symptoms that seems to be acurate with other folks:
http://www.chiarione.org/symptoms.html
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Re: knees

Postby Raindrops » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:39 am

razzle51 wrote:That sounds like good ole Arthritis. But then you never know.

I have found a list of symptoms that seems to be acurate with other folks:
http://www.chiarione.org/symptoms.html

Oh geesh.....something else!!!
Raindrops

Postby kdenni » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 pm

I read the symptoms list and noted that jaw pain is on the list. I get pain in my jaw that comes and goes. It is not a burning pain. I have SM but not CM. Could the jaw pain be due to SM? Anybody know?
kdenni

symptoms

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Now everybody doesnt have all those symptoms , so dont talk yourself into having them. Just something to compare to now.

And jaw pain could mean wisdom teeth coming in , your bite is off etc . Not nessciarly (SP) SM

razzle51

jaw pain

Postby kdenni » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:53 pm

I understand that. Actually, I believe my jaw pain may be TMJ but I was just wondering if all the POSSIBLE symptoms only apply if you have both CM and SM. I'm new to this disorder...I have learned to differentiate my arthritis pain from possible SM related pain. After that, I have no idea if the pain is old age (50) :lol: SM, or something else.

Thanks for keeping me in check. :)
kdenni

Postby mac » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Jaw pain is often related to Chiari. One thing I've learned is that if you have CM, which is a bony abnormality (small posterior fossa), other bone formations in your skull area can be abnormal as well. TMJ is often related to CM from all I've read. Just thought I'd add that into the mix.

mac
mac

confused

Postby kdenni » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:36 am

Thanks, Mac. I do think my jaw pain is TMJ. I am still confused, frightened and depressed by the situation but then I read notes from people like yourself and begin to believe I am doing pretty good. I still work, I have had no operations (for SM), and I can manage my pain most of the time - sometimes I do cry because the pain is so great. However, those episodes are not daily.

This forum is the best thing possible for me. When I think I am the only one and know one understands, I just logon and read the postings. I then know I am not alone.
kdenni

Postby mac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 am

kdenni, thanks for your thoughtful post. We all have different challenges in different ways. And those challenges affect our lives. (I like to use the word "challenges" rather than "problems, or difficulties") Crying in pain, well, that sure shows the pain you are dealing with!

ONe thing I realise that I do that really helps me to survive is to not only appreciate the little moments of what I "can" do, but to do perhaps something to make those times just a little special. last night, I sat outside in my chair reading ("Still Me" by Christopher Reeve) and decided to make a little fire in the firepot. I didn't have to, but just doing a little thing like that makes that moment an "AH" moment. We have strawberries growing and so we pick a bowl, then sit outside with strawberries and lite whipped cream, and you know, those moments are really precious. There are ways to have that peaceful, happy, euphoric feeling even though you maybe can't do all that you used to.

but sometimes, YOU have to create them.

With your jaw pain, do you also have clicking in your jaw when you open/close it? Or times when it seems to lock up and you cannot open it any further (this happens to me whenever I try to eat a sandwich!)

take good care. Yes, this board has been a wonderful thing for me too. Just think if we were all alone in how we feel, and not talking to anyone who can relate?

hugs, mac
mac

Postby Raindrops » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:12 am

Mac...........

Jaw locking....I have that, it was really bad for a while (about 2-3 months) now it's not so bad. I didn't know what it was but didnt really give it too much thought cause it started to happen when I was pregnant..........

What is TMJ?

Thanks,
Raindrops
Raindrops

jaw

Postby razzle51 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 am

Temporo-Mandibular Joint

razzle51

Postby Raindrops » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:45 am

Thank you!
Raindrops

Postby SMLady » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:10 pm

I have TMJ as well, so I'm thinking that's where my jaw pain comes from too, but who knows. I actually just got back from seeing some kind of neuro something or other dentist who wants to help. I had gone to an orthodontist, but what he did didn't work.

Anyway, I know you're scared. I was diagnosed a little over two years ago, and it probably took me a good year before it actually sank in and I began to accept it and learn to live with it.

I hope things get better for you.

Glenna
SMLady

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:38 pm

My knees have become rather solid and I look kind of like Fred Sanford when walking. :lol:

They won't move, they will bend a little bit but they definitely have a mind of their own these days.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders