Cut down meds

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cut down meds

Postby duvall77 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:21 pm

It has been a while since I've been on. In the last week I fired my Acupuncturist and decreased my medications (with the knowledge of my NS). I've been drugged for sometime with Neurontin (1200mg 3x) to 600mg 3x), Skelaxin (800mg x2 to 0), Voltaren (10mg x2 to 0). I just don't know how to find a good balance. My Pain Management MD completed an EMG recently and my NS is restaffing my "case" to determine the next move.

I feel better with out all the meds, but the pain is coming back slowly as the med levels drop. What activities do others do or avaoid to improve energy while decreasing pain?

Thanks, Thomas (Northwest FL)

Dx: SM (T1-7), DDD, Cervical stenosis/Bone spur (C5-6)
duvall77

Postby Janice » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Thomas and Welcome,

I find that the more I do the more I have to rest or sleep. In my case, I got tired of the one day up, three days down routine so I pretty much do things in very small doses. For instance, when I take a shower I have to rest afterward. When I walk to the kitchen I have to rest a few minutes before returning to the bedroom. I rotate positions because I found that being in any one position for longer than 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours would increase my pain level. Basically, I had to find a happy median between activities and positioning. More importantly, if my body is tired I take a nap which is wierd and took some getting use to because I practically never took naps. It took me six months to realize that I was causing extra pain and stress to my body by not accepting that I could no longer do everything I use to be able to do and by not allowing my body the rest it was demanding of me now.

Once you start to notice the things that make a difference just try to stick to it but more importantly don't let it define who you are. Still have fun and live your life. Just do it in moderation with whatever adjustments you need to make to enjoy each day. I like to say I now take each day in pieces so I do get to enjoy each day. Unfortunately, the thing that took me the longest to adjust to was that I could no longer work.

Hope some of this information can help you in finding a routine that will work for you.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Ryzing » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:15 am

Once you start to notice the things that make a difference just try to stick to it but more importantly don't let it define who you are. Still have fun and live your life. Just do it in moderation with whatever adjustments you need to make to enjoy each day.

Excellent advice! Exactly what I would say, too, because they are words I live by and they work for me. I tried getting off the Ultracet that I was on - and did it for a while - but the pain at night was getting to be too much at times and I'm no hero, so I'm on it again. I find that if I don't move or if I sit and rest too much, I feel worse - my legs & arms get stiff. I try to do everything in moderation. It might take a while to find what works (it did for me - several months :? ), but when you do, it will be worth the wait.

Best wishes,

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby SMLady » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:55 pm

I'm with Diane. I find the more I move - when I can - the better I feel. Sitting at a desk all day makes my symptoms much worse. If I can walk every day, I find that I start to feel better. Deep breathing exercises can help me sometimes too.
SMLady

Postby paularay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi! That is great that you are decreasing your meds. I don't take any meds but the occational pain pill. I tend to be able to go pretty strong for about three days and down one. But, I have little routines I go through each day to compensate for being worn out. I take time throughout the day to take little rest stops and if I need to lie down, I do so. It is also alot of mind over matter, the more I think of pain the more I hurt.
You can make it without all the meds. Have faith and if you find that you need them then thats alright too.
Stay tough and you will pull through.
Paula
paularay

Postby kiminfla » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 am

Thomas, Glad you made it over to the new board. Are they restaffing your case in Miami or is that local? I know it's tough when you've got so much on your plate with work, school, etc. Wishing you brighter pain-free days. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Hi Kim!

Postby duvall77 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:24 pm

Yes, my files and images are back up for review by the Miami treatment team headed by Barth Green, MD I think. I am supposed to hear back in the next three weeks. The primary problem they are trying to figure out is why my right arm and hand continue to hurt. My NS and Pain Management doc have spoke and are puzzled. This is coming directly from the NS. I am not thinking it's good when the NS calls you personally. So, I have to go back to Shands to complete a MRI test that was screwed up (the report said I get to return for free, only 5 hours away- great). There is also talk about a selective nerve root block, but I do not know enough about that yet. I tried to call the pain doc today with no luck. This is causing alot of problems for me. I can not type without a good deal of pain in my whole arm, plus I was "written-up" this week for not getting my reports in on time, never mind I can't type. I just want this all to be over with, so I can complete school. Anyway thanks for the support. Thank you all for the messages of hope.

Thomas (Northwest FL)

Dx: SM (T1-7), DDD, Cervical stenosis/Bone spur (C5-6)
duvall77

Postby kmjofga » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 pm

I quit my bartending job after I had problems with my meds (taking them and stopping). The pain was horrible for the first couple of months, but later got better.

I went back to bartending part time at a new place and I hike when I am off. I only find I have issues if I am on my feet more than six or seven hours- then I am in some hell...

I also take really long showers and take care of the rest of my body. I also disconnected from a lot of family and friends who were bringing me down. ie Stress makes every disease/disorder worse.

Trust God, not be angry, and don't feel sorry for myself.
kmjofga

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders