Passing out?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Passing out?

Postby socialdkitty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:00 pm

When I stand up, the pressure in my head becomes so great I feel like my brain is going to explode and I'm going to pass out. Ive never actually passed out yet, but I think I could possibly at any time. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Postby daynthelife » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:35 pm often is this happening?

Postby socialdkitty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:50 pm

It happens like once or twice a day..just happened a minute ago so thats why I posted to ask if anyone else has experienced it...It feels like there is a lot of pressure in my ears also.

Postby cash71 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:14 pm

I feel like passing out when I stand up frequently but mine is due to a drop in my BP when standing up. Maybe check out a few sources for symptoms of Orthostatic Hypotension and POTS (2 things common with cm) and see if any bells start ringing. ... tatic.html

Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info:

almost passing out

Postby prism » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:21 pm

yes, it happens here a lot. can't tell you exactly why. prism

Postby blue1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:38 pm

I get dizzy alot with buzzing in my ear and if it got bad enough I could probably get to that point. I do not know what it is maybe meds.
I take Vicoden recently changed to percocet, baclofen, zanaflex, an zonegran
What are you taking.Be very careful Please!
Laisez les bons temps rouler

Postby mamaw112499 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Dear Socialkitty,
Hi, my name is Barbara and yes I have that same problem, but mine is worse if I bend over, or cough. I have the pressure feeling in my head constant and everyday, some days are worse than others. I went to my Doctor today and he wants me to contact Univ. of Chicago or the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. I do not know what to do, but I know what you are experiencing and it is not fun at all. I tend to lose my balance also when this occurs. I wish only the best for you......Barbara

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 pm

Mayo in MN would not be a very good choice as far as Chiari and Syringomyelia . I sent you a PM. They are still in the training stages .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

Postby hartagold23 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes, before my surgery, I got that pressure feeling in the head, too, just as you describe. And I used to get "near" fainting spells, too. My doctor said it was because I wasn't getting good drainage of CS fluid out of my brain ventricles, so a lot of intracranial pressure was building up. Also, I had very high blood pressure. It's much better now, just 3 weeks after surgery (for tethered cord). I guess the fluid has readjusted itself.

SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!

Postby sparks42 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:19 pm

this happens about twice a day....

When I have my headaches....which starts in my neck and turns into a pressure headache.....I'll try to stand up....and the world will seem to go white.....and I have to sit right back down...or pass out.

I haven't actually passed out....but I know that's what will hapeen if I don't sit back down, and stay down for a minute.

I'm at work right now...I do tech support for Roadrunner at a computer screen and I have a HUGE headache right now :(
owwww I wanna go home but I won't get paid :(

I hate SM :(

- SM and Scoliosis and Spinal Fusion
- 20/f

Postby socialdkitty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 pm

I don't take any medicine, I just somehow get by without it. I'm afraid to have pain and not be able to feel it because then I dont know how severe, etc. it is. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check into it.

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders