(achem ) stretching

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

(achem ) stretching

Postby prism » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi,

I figure I'll get "don't do that" in response to this post, but here goes anyway. I have had this problem with over and I mean OVER stretching for years. Way before I knew it could be damaging-- I imagined that I could fix my pain, somehow correct the curvature...
I used to spend really the majority of many days contorting. Anyway, I know I mustn't now, but sometimes my pain is so unrelenting I revert to (modified) old coping.
Last night for instance, itching on my chest incision preceeded, then maybe raising my shoulder? whatever -- caused what felt like heart related pain going down my left arm, into the hand, up into the jaw. (like it was pre-heart surgery) I tried Everything to relieve it, until somewhere in the wee hours I ended up stretching my shoulders into my neck, ect. and it helped some. (EDS- joints subluxate)

I know it's not the answer, I'm really just looking to find where my experiences differ or not among this community.

BTw. my h- was able to find a site on the web- to kinesio tape my shoulders and it's at least helping with some of the on-going pain.
thanks. prism
prism

Postby SMLady » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:53 pm

One of my doctors encourages stretching IF it doesn't hurt. There are certain positions that I absolutely cannot stretch without causing a great deal of pain. The stretches I can do without causing pain I find to be very beneficial.

I also have found that walking is helping me, when I have the energy. We just got back from a 2-week beach vacation, and I walked the beach for at least an hour every day. It was hard at first, but by the end of the vacation, I felt so much better. I think sitting at a desk all day makes my back hurt much worse. Everything must get all compressed in my spine from sitting so much.

Anyway, I gope you are having a good day!
SMLady

Postby cash71 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm

I think you should let your body guide you. And stretching is a good thing as long as it doesn't cause you pain or a flare up in your symptoms.

My wonderful physio. Taped my back for about 6 months. I had assumed this hunched over slouching posture from all the back pain and the slouching was just making everything way worse. My physio said that posture massively increases the pressure on the discs in my upper back and can pinch nerves etc.

The tape just was a constant reminder to do all the tasks that I do all day...differently. It REALLY helped. At first it pulled all the time as I was so conditioned to doing everything curled up but after a while my shoulders were back and I was standing up straight and it really did help with my back pain. I think it was one of the things that helped the most. My pain always is the worst at T4-T5 right were my syrinx is the widest.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby specialmomx2 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Prism,

You and I seem to have a lot in common.

I know exactly what you mean. I do it sometimes. I have a real bad habit of watching the telly with one leg over my head.

I think it's a referral thing, like the pain from the overstretched joint confuses the signals from the other pain, allievating it somewhat.

it is a relief thing too. The joint I stretch the most is the one which gives me the most pain. It's like the stretch takes some pressure off the hurt part, so it's an odd kind of relief.

I know we shouldn't overstretch our joints, and I try not to do it, but sometimes, it seems like the only thing that helps (somwehat).

-Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

stretching

Postby prism » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:56 am

Yes Paula, lots in common with both of us having EDS :wink: I know overstretching is bad for EDS, but with my neck and the Chiari I have even more reasons to know that I shouldn't do it. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't go back on some pain meds...but that would br totally contrary to what I've been trying to do- (get off as much as possible to see what complicating factors the meds have caused) Unless, I switched out some of my muscle relaxants for pain meds. (however, with the seizing up of my muscles...not sure)
It's good for me to talk about so I can try to be more conscious of my choices. It was just so habitual for so long--- :roll:
Thank you "smlady and Caroline" for sharing. I too have trouble sitting for long, or doing any one thing for too long! But walking is still not a real viable option for me. (body doesn't let me) That's why I've been so happy about being able to get in the water- I can move around! I'm trying to be moderate about it, even more so now.
xox. prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders