What is Small?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

What is Small?

Postby blue1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:33 pm

:oops:

CM: I have some extra fluid by my cisterna magna and the formamen is enlarged, fluid by the cerebellum not affecting the tonsils.
My SM goes from T 1 to L 1 and is 2.5mm in diameter.
Is this so small I should not get excruciating headaches than Zonegran took away.
Increased ICP in my right eye. A signfigent voice change and difficultly
swallowing (choking sometimes).
Pain in my T spine that radiates out laterally to the point of tears.
Wake up in the middle of the night with pin and needle type feelings in arms and legs, and sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom, and I am freezing cold at 75 degrees F. Dizziness, Balence problems. Ortho doc says all disc problems are not affecting nerves.
Am I Crazy,CFS, FibrmyoWhatever,
:oops:
blue1
blue1

Postby Janice » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi Blue,

I would not dismiss the symptoms you are having. No matter what the cause SM/CM or not, the symptoms you feel are real. I know this is harder said than believed, but it shouldn't matter what others feel about your pain and agony and what you are going through. Because a doctor can not justify your symptoms does not mean they aren't there. Sometimes it may take them longer to identify the source of your symptoms but by not means does it determine that you are crazy.

The doctors can't say for sure that my symptoms, very similar to yours with the inclusion of difficulty walking due to violent leg shaking, are from the syrinx or something else but they are true symptoms so what can I do about that.

You should have your husband read the information from ASAP. I requested a brochure and gave it to my family members to read. I am so sorry that you have to go through this simply because the doctors won't make a claim to the source of your symptoms. However, please do not give up. Another suggestion is to have your husband visit the message board to see how many others are in your position with no answers from the doctors.

I hope things get better for you with family members and your health but in the meantime, pray and take care of yourself. Don't dismiss your symptoms for others.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

SYRINX

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm

This was written by Dr. Heiss :

When Is A Syrinx Too Small?

Patients with Chiari I can have symptoms with a large syrinx, small syrinx, or no syrinx. These patients may benefit from craniocervical decompression.

Small syrinxes are difficult to assess because they appear on MRI scans to be identical to the central spinal cord canal, a normal structure. The central spinal canal, being normal, would not cause pain and another cause of the pain would need to be considered. Small syrinxes may result from conditions such as trauma, infection, or inflammation that cause a small amount of injury to the spinal cord. The injury occurs over a short period of time. Pain originates from the injured spinal cord around the small syrinx. The injury that occurred to the spinal cord during the formation of the small syrinx cannot be reversed by surgical treatment and may be made worse by it.

Dr. John Heiss
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders