loss of smell and taste?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

loss of smell and taste?

Postby loren67 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:17 pm

does anyone else have this?
loren67

Postby mac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:54 am

Hi, Jenn,

I have noticed that when I am experiencing strong brainstem compression symptoms, it affects my sense of taste. Things just taste bad or have no flavor. I haven't noticed it with the smelling though.

What's going on for you?

mac
mac

Postby cash71 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 pm

My sense of taste is off, but mine is a side effect of Diamox. Are you on any meds that could be the culprit?
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby loren67 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:14 pm

so far they can't find an explanation. originally dr. b thought maybe thepulling down of my spine and brain from the tethered cord might be the culprit, but now, 9 months post op, still no taste or smell. according to my mri's my syrinx and herniation are unchanged after the surgery so maybe there's still hope.
loren67

Postby mac » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:01 am

Jen, I can't imagine living without the sense of taste and smell. I know you didn't need to lose weight to begin with, but have you lost weight b/c of this? How has your cooking fared? Any complaints from the family?

you poor thing! Have you done much research online? Do you have any brainstem compression going on?

curious mac
mac

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders