Why am I drooling?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Why am I drooling?

Postby k!tkat » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:36 am

Okay, this is a funny question but I'm hoping someone has an answer for me.

The past few days I seem to have an excessive amount of saliva. This isn't so noticeable until I try to eat something. When I eat I just seem to dribble everywhere. I nearly died of embarassment today whilst at work when I start drooling every time I tried to stick a cracker in my mouth. People probably think I'm just really enjoying my food. :)

I've had problems with choking on my saliva for awhile now [happens sometimes when I breathe or when I talk] but nothing like this. I haven't been taking any different medications lately so I'm not sure what's caused it. Any ideas anyone?

Danielle
No CM. Post-traumatic SM T6-T11 [4mm diametre]. Ruptured Disc T8/9.
Compression Fractures T8 & T9. Central Pain Syndrome.
k!tkat

Postby SMLady » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 am

Well, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun! I only had drooling problems when I was pregnant, but I haven't had any since. Maybe someone else on here can help you.

I just wanted to say that I hope you are having a good day.
SMLady

drooling

Postby prism » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:29 am

I'm sorry I can't offer you any answers as to why, but I have this problem too sometimes. Although, not while eating. Sometimes my facial muscles aren't working well and I've noticed it when drinking fluids, usually at the same time a lot of major muscles are having weakness issues.
Mainly though, mine happens if I have a total body shut down- saliva comes up and there's like choking sensations, drooling at it's worst. I used to associate it with the seizures I was having- but sometimes I have the problem on a mild scale.
I can't tolerate any pressure on my abdomen or chest, or overuse of those muscles- causes me to have a sort of gag reflex, or need to vomit. Sometimes I've found that the position of the neck might be involved.
Anyway, you're not alone. :oops: Hope you find some answers- (me too) prism
prism

Postby paularay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Is one or both sides of your face numb? The right side of my face is numb and I sometimes drool out that side of my mouth mostly when brushing my teeth. My right eye also waters alot in the outer corner. I also have trouble with choking on my saliva. I really don't know why but your not alone.
Paula
paularay

Postby k!tkat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm glad there are other people who understand but I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems too.

I do experience facial numbness [mostly on the left] but haven't suffered from it as much recently and have not noticed it occuring at the same time as the drooling. Fortunately the drooling is not a constant and if I'm careful when I eat I seem to get through it okay. It's just a pain that it's yet another thing I'm having to worry about. The choking has been a real bother lately.

I guess I will speak to my doctor about it the next time I see her, it doesn't really seem like something that has an obvious association to SM.
k!tkat

drooling

Postby prism » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:33 am

do you guys have cm1 too? prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders