Is massage Okay?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Is massage Okay?

Postby Mary Alice » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 am

I know everyone's feelings on chiropracters not being a good idea. Frankly, I've never been a fan of them in general, so haven't considered going there now anyway.

My concern now is that my muscles from my neck to my waist are all so tight that you could bounce quarters off of them. (Whheehew....fun party games!) I am not a particularly in shape person that typically has cut, shapely muscles, so this is not a normal condition for me. I know part of it is from being tense and stressed out about surgery coming out and about symptoms changing so quickly in general. I also know that my NS will be moving all of my neck muscles around during surgery, and if they are already as tight as rubberbands, it will be more difficult for them to heal after surgery.

All that to get to the question, is massage therapy okay? I would definitely tell them not to do any deep tissue work around my neck. Would there be precautions other than that? What do you guys think?

Hoping for a soothing relaxing massage in Texas!
Mary Alice
Mary Alice

Postby AFleming05 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 am

Hi there -

I had been advised not to get a massage (even though I was desperately wanting one for stress relief). I did not seek this avenue until post the first surgery so I am not sure what the Doctors would say pre surgery. Personally, I think it would be a bad idea just because that area of our bodies is sensitive and I wouldn't dare engage in an activity that had a potential for damage (not saying that it would definitely, but I can't imagine it is 100% risk free).

I used a heating pad to loosen my neck and upper back muscles. It was my favorite activity of the day. It helped me a lot.

Good luck, sweet heart, as you embark on the surgery and I pray that your healing is quick and successful.

Many blessings,
Mandy
AFleming05

Postby cash71 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am

Hi there,

I have never heard anything about massage being contra indicated. I myself have tried it as I too have incredibly tight muscles in my neck and shoulders. The massage felt wonderful but truly did not have any lasting effects. I think b/c its not addressing the underlying reason why your muscles are tight in the first place. But I would say if you want to have a massage, go for it. It will be relaxing at the time.

8) Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby Tidbit » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 pm

My NS actually recommended regular massage therapy as a way to keep the muscles in my neck/shoulders/upper back looser since they were so tight after my surgeries. Like you said, you could have bounced quarters off of them, and they were contributing to the pain in my neck and arms.

After giving them time to heal following surgery, I was going for weekly massages, then biweekly, and now on just an as needed basis. They have been a Godsend for me in making me more comfortable and decreasing my need for pain meds.
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy and duraplasty May 2005. Syringosubarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. From Ontario, Canada.
Tidbit

massage

Postby Jenintexas » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:09 pm

massage therapy is actully good and healing as far as stress and muscle fatigue. If you are just getting a light swedish massage then it won't hurt your muscles prior to surgery. I had a massage a few weeks prior to my surgery and it helped relax me some. Rubbing the muscles from a swedish massage is not like deep tissue work so it has no effect on you prior to surgery. I would say go and enjoy. Now I didn't let them rub my neck when I went but that is my personal preference even before I was dx with ACM. I never let them touch my neck face or head. But I rub some green alcohol on my neck or some birfreeze and rub my neck myself. That seems to help too. Enjoy your massage if you decide to go. I wished I could get one LOL

By the way I am a LMT in Texas and for texas this would not be a contraindication. Just keep it a swedish basic massage.
Jenintexas

Postby Mary Alice » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Man, Jen, it's a shame you are just a little too far away from me. Otherwise, when you get better, and I get better, I would have to book you for a weekly massage! Close, but no cigar!

Glad to see you are up and on the computer, though. Hope you are resting a lot too.
Mary Alice
Mary Alice

yes resting good

Postby Jenintexas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 am

I am getting some rest. I have to change positions all the time but thank goodness it hasn't taken me that long to get back to sleep. I have some swelling on the left side of my neck and some bruising on my head as well. My DH thinks this is where that tape was. Other then that I am doing fine. resting and doing my right to left moves to try and get movement back in my neck. (well normal movement) It moves but its super tight. Like driving with no power stiring fluid LOL
Jenintexas

Postby Silverwolf73 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:33 pm

I'm sure a massage would feel wonderful. But, have you thought about talking to your NS about pre-op muscle relaxers? I know they're wonderful after surgery, but I don't know about before. It's worth asking about, don't you think? Good Luck!

Blessings,

Renee in Ohio

Oops...I'm having a hard time following...If this is post op, then you might want to ask about Valium. I used it only at night to sleep, and it worked WONDERS for me. :D
Silverwolf73

Postby Mary Alice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:40 pm

I actually talked to the NS I saw today about both massage and muscle relaxers. He said massage is fine... whatever helps me feel better. I have been taking Robaxen for muscle relaxer but the new guy today prescribed a stronger muscle relaxer and said to use it liberally for the next week. Of course it doesn't work to well on a prescription paper in my purse which is where it still is so far!

Pharmacy tomorrow is the top of the list. I also have to quit taking all the ibuprofen, etc since surgery is in a week, so he wrote a script for Darvocet. We'll see if I can hang on for a week.

Then, obviously, I'll have other issues to worry about.

Taking it one battle at a time,
Mary Alice

PS The massage is scheduled for Thursday morning! I can't wait....Ahhhh
Mary Alice

Postby SMLady » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:03 am

Hello. I just thought I'd give my 2 cents about massages. When I was having physical therapy, they would do a massage every time. After PT was over, I asked if I could continue with the massage somewhere else. They told me that massages were okay as long as I went to someone who was familiar with SM. So I always check that out first. But I LOVE massages. They really loosen me up and make me feel better.

Take care
SMLady

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders