Need advice about Chiropracter please!!!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Need advice about Chiropracter please!!!

Postby precious » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm

I have my syrinx from t6-12 and a herniated disc in t5 and bulging disc in L5. Well of course no one will help me with the other back problems because of the syrinx not even make appts with me. Anyways, My 2 year old jumped on my back a few nights ago when I was laying on the floor and it hurt sooo bad. Now i am in horrific pain and my hubby says you can see that my back on the right side is swollen larger than the left. (This has been so hard because i have in so much pain for about 1 week any ways and then to add this)Should i go to chiropractor? Can he adjust my back what are the rules here? I want to stay safe. Please offer your suggestions. Thank you.
~Precious~

SM T-6/T-12 8.2 mm
Only you decide how bright your day will be!
precious

Postby mrsariel » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:31 pm

I am no expert, but from what i have read here, the chiropractor is a big no no for us.
Hope you feel better,
Lisa
CM 7mm diagnosed 12/06.
Tethered Cord diagnosed 10/07 @ TCI
TC surgery 5/13/08
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisas
mrsariel

Postby cash71 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:20 pm

I know when my husband pulled some muscles in his back you could definately see that one side was much bigger than the other just from the spasming muscles. It could be that-which is very painful as it pulls everything out of wack. I would not recommend an adjustment from everything I have read. Maybe try the old heat and ice alternating and possibly some muscle relaxants and good old fashioned rest. JMHO, I'm no doc :D

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby precious » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Thank you Lisa and Caroline I just needed some tips. I really dont want to cause more problems. Thank you for the advice!
~Precious~

SM T-6/T-12 8.2 mm
precious

Postby Silverwolf73 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Just a suggestion...

When my husband's back went out, he went to our PCP. He gave him a prescription for a muscle relaxer and pain meds, and scheduled him for physical therapy three times a week. It helped a ton and he was much improved in less than a week and back to normal in two, all without the risks involved with a chiropractic adjustment.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Renee in Ohio
Silverwolf73

Postby sparks42 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:03 am

Just a personal opinion....

I hate chiropractors! They scare me....they see bone structures....not internal stuff...like spinal cords.
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby petsmom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:20 pm

We are strongly advised not to have any adjustment done in the area of the syrinx due to the pressure applied by the chiropractor. And some are very heavy handed and rough.

Personally, I do have a chiro that I swear by. He does not adjust anywhere near my syrinx which is near same area as yours. However, he is the only doctor that will help prolong cervical and lumbar spine surgery for me. If I can keep seeing him I have a chance of avoiding surgery and keeping nerves from dying completely. He is very careful, has read my MRI reports and has never made me sore or achy afterwards.

Not all doctors or chiros are created equally!!!Any of them could possibly do more harm than good. I would try heat/cold first, muscle relaxers and rest. Could be temporary. Possibly a gentle massage by significant other to see if eases the muscles for you. Nothing fancy and slight pressure just to see. If irritates then stop.

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Postby precious » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Thank you all of you for your advice i appreciate it alot. Hope you all have had a great weekend
~Precious~

SM T-6/T-12 8.2 mm
precious

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders