how do you know if you have a spinal fluid leak?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

how do you know if you have a spinal fluid leak?

Postby Jenintexas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi I was decompressed a week ago today with ACM. I am taking my meds less then I was which is good. But now I have what I thought was bruises and they are some pinkish red patches to the left of my incension. Right after surgery the Doctor had me laying on my back. Now when I lay on my back or my left side I have a terrible pain. Could this be a leak? Has anyone every had a leak after decompression surgery? What did it feel and look like?
Jenintexas

Postby melanie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:18 pm

do you have swelling on or near your incision?also if you have spinal headaches still. I'd get in touch with your doctor,better safe than sorry .
melanie

spinal fluid leak?

Postby Jenintexas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I have swelling but its just to the left of my incesion. I am going to call the doctor first thing in the morning. I do have the swelling and these pinkish reddish color spots to the lft and they are very painful if I try to lay on a pillow.
Jenintexas

Postby Mary Alice » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm

I certainly haven't been through this yet, but my husband has had the headaches that you get from spinal fluid problems. He says they are absolutely horrible headaches, and his memory is that he wanted to lie flat in a dark room. He was a teenager when that happened, and it's been quite a few years since either one of us were teenagers ( :shock: almost 20 :shock: ) He also hasn't had a Chiari headache ever, so doesn't have that to compare it too.

If it gets too bad tonight, don't be polite! Go ahead and call the doc tonight. That's why they have someone on call. At least maybe they can tell you whether it is or isn't and you can rest easier knowing.

Here's hoping you get good news. God bless and take care.
Fellow Texan,
Mary Alice
Mary Alice

Postby AFleming05 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:38 am

Hello,

I had decompression surgery in August 2006. I had a slew of complications from it, but in reference to your post - I had a dura patch leak so I had a repository of CSF seep into the soft tissue of my neck and this made it painful for anyone/anything to touch the area (which was hard because everyone wanted to give me a hug when they came to visit) - it was terribly painful.

I had a post op MRI and the fluid collection was extensive so in December I had another surgery for a dura repair. What kind of patch did your neurosurgeon use? My initial one was from a pig - and my body rejected it and it started dissolving, which allowed for the flood of CSF to accumulate in my soft tissue. Its rare what happened to me, but its not impossible - perhaps you should ask your doctor.

Hope you feel better.

Mandy
AFleming05

Postby melanie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:16 am

not to rare,I went thru 4 decompressions,dura patch repairs,and evetually shunted with a programmable shunt.call your dr when in doubt..
melanie

thanks for the info

Postby Jenintexas » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:59 am

he used my own scalp for the dura patch. He said if its not leaking to just give it a few days so i am going to just do that and see what happens. thanks for the info. I will let you know how it all pans out.
Jenintexas

Postby mac » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi, Mellie, it's so good to see you here...how are you??? And how are the Skyes?

love, mac
mac

numbness

Postby Jenintexas » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Is numbness normal back there in the back of my head? I would think that would be normal but I just want to make sure. I am still having swolloning problems from where the tubes were stuffed down my throat. the doctor called me in a steroid for that. I am not sure what a steroid would do but he said it should help with the swelling that is in my throat and esphagus area.

Has anyone else had really bad swelling from the tubes? What did you do to make this better?
Jenintexas

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:36 am

Great balls of fire, girl! Are you all right? Did you see the doctor? Oh I hope so.

You're in my prayers. I hope by now you are feeling much better. I look forward to hearing.

love,
sandy
Sandy

doing well

Postby Jenintexas » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:06 am

yes I am doing better today. Doctor prescribed steroids for the swelling/swollowing problems and it seems to be wking. I wasn't sure how a sterod would help with that but I am glad it is. I am doing a lot better today. I think the reddish spots where just dry skin. From either not getting washed very well and/or laying on that spot for so long. My dh is helping me wash my hair until the stitches get out so it might be that. He doesn't want to hurt me near my stitches so I think that place is a little neglected. Come monday night I am going to be more then ready to wash my hair very well LOL

Thanks all for you feedback. Jennifer
Jenintexas

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders