TCI process question

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

TCI process question

Postby CrazyCat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:51 pm

What is the process when TCI receives your packet? Do they immediately assign a nurse to you who calls or do the docs review the packet, assign a nurse and it goes from there? Not being impatient at all but I was just wondering generall how long it takes for TCI to call you and start the ball rolling.

Thanks for any info. :)

{{{HUGS}}}
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Postby jjames » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 pm

You are assigned a nurse based on the first letter of your last name. If you go to the website for TCI, you can go to the staff link, and it there tells you who your nurse will be based on your last name. It even gives you their e-mail address if you want to contact them. I had to contact my nurse a few times before she called back, but they are very informative and helpful when you talk to them. The nurse will get with the doctors and determine what tests you need either prior to your visit or at the time of your visit and you can go from there. Good luck! I go to TCI for the first time on July 16th!
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 am

Thanks for your reply. So how long was it from the time you sent the packet until you knew about testing dates and appointment dates? Seriously not being impatient here but I am trying to figure out how much time I have to find all the money this is going to cost me. Maybe I should play the lottery? :)

Yesterday was so bad. Breathing was very hard to do as well as swallowing and I think my head, neck and back are in a battle to see which one is going to hurt the most.
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Postby jjames » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:36 am

I called in April and got an appointment in July. That was the soonest they could get me in. I am doing some of the testing locally so that my insurance will cover it. But I just received my actual confirmation packet yesterday.
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby Fraggle Nan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:47 am

Crazy Cat,

I sent my package and they rec'd it May 22nd. I did not hear from my secretary until June 5th. So that is about 2 weeks. She told me they are booking now into September.

Hope this helps!

Nan
Fraggle Nan

Postby pearland1 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:58 am

Also, FYI, if you are really desperate to get in sooner, you can request to be on a waiting list. (If your schedule can be cleared at short notice) If someone drops out or decides not to come, they may call you.
This worked for my daughter, I'm not sure if they put peds patients at priority or not.... Thankfully, we got in about 2 months earlier than our official appointment.
Good luck!
pearland1

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks for the info. :) I would love to be there tomorrow but with hubbs job we have to plan waaaaay in advance for him to be off work and also find someone to cat sit my two fur balls. Money is an issue as well so the more time I have the better. Doesn't help me much but I figure I can hang on now that there is this tiny light at the end of this very long dark tunnel.

{{{HUGS}}}
CrazyCat

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:06 pm

I heard from TCI today. They said the person I emailed my packet to would set the appointment then the nurse assigned to my last name would set up testing. I explained that I need as much done locally as possible due to insurance issues and they said this could be done but the quality would not be what they get in NY. They didn't give me a time frame as to when they would contact me but I appreciated the email.

Now comes the fun part of trying to find the funds for all of this. I can't cook so a bake sale is out, I can't sing...bad idea trust me... :) Ugh well gotta go find the Tums. I've had horrible nausua the past few days. Just what I needed another problem...bah!
CrazyCat

Postby CrazyCat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 am

Still no word. I know they are busy and I trust they will get to me as soon as they can. Not being impatient. Just waiting for that day I can shout, "I have an appointment!" because I know help is finally coming my way. :)
CrazyCat

Postby Debster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:09 pm

I faxed my paperwork in to TCI 13 days ago. Since no one has called me, I called them and the person I was put through to had a voice mail saying she is vacation. I left a message and then waited for her to call me when she came back from vacation. A few days after her return date I called her again and left a message but didn't hear anything. Then the next day I called again and left a message....but still nothing. In total, I have put in 3 phone calls, and no one has even called me back.

Since I have satisfied my deductible, I want to get in before the end of the calendar year since my insurance said they will cover a portion of out of network expenses. We know that will still be an extraordinary amount, and we have debt because my youngest son had to go to the hospital by ambulance last year. In addition, my job has been very slow, so we have had to buy groceries using our credit card, and racked up 15,000 in credit card debt. We took out a home equity line of credit on our house so I can get to TCI without having to add more debt to our credit cards.

I am wishing I could at least get a return phone call from them so I don't feel like I have been forgotten about. I don't understand why someone won't call me back when I leave messages.

I am hoping when I am finally able to get to TCI that someone else from the board will be there since my husband won't be able to go with me. Not only due to the expense, but also because we don't have anyone to watch our children for us while we go. My husbands brother and wife are the only family we have that live locally, and they have never been interested in helping us with our children, not matter the circumstances.

Hope we both hear from someone at TCI soon.

Deb
Debster

Postby CrazyCat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:51 pm

I am sure they are extremly busy there. I feel sure they will get back to everyone when they can. I can only imagine the amount of applications they receive. I figure I have gone this long, 1 1/2 years and counting I can wait a little longer. :)

I started thinking about what their process could be. If they have to take each application, run it through finance, medical personnel and maybe even the doctors then that in itself is a long process considering the time they spend with everyone during appointments and the time it would take for scheduled surgeries not to mention the emergencies that come up. Multiply that by a low number of packets received by email or mail in a day, say 50 then that would explain the time it takes for the process. I am sure each and every one that works for TCI and others involved in the process deserve a great big hug for all they do.

I may end up going by myself also. My husband has to schedule way in advance to be off and having family come in and stay in our home to watch my cats for more than a few days would be asking too much. They would do it but they are not in the best health and I wouldn't feel right having them do that. I am scared to death thinking I would have to go this by myself but I know God will be with me so I won't be alone and from what I can see there is always someone around TCI that we know through the boards and mailing lists. :)
CrazyCat

Postby cash71 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:12 pm

I waited a month after sending in my paperwork and didn't hear anything. Then I started nagging by email almost daily and had an appointment within a week. I think sometimes you have to be a squeaky wheel when it comes to getting an appointment.

JMHO,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby CrazyCat » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:12 pm

I did get a nice "pick me up" today. Out of no where someone offered me and my husband all their freq. flyer miles for tickets to NY and back. Hopefully the air line will allow them to transfer the miles for our use. They also have a family member there that may possibly let us use their apartment since they travel a lot. It's not close to TCI so I am not sure if the cab fare would be the same as a motel room near by. :)
CrazyCat

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders