Pins and Needles

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Pins and Needles

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 pm

I seriously think my body hates me. On top of all tha I have going on I am now getting this 'pins and needles" thing with my right side and head. It's like someone is sticking me with thousands of needles on my right arm, top of my right leg, right side of my abdomen and back, down my spine, at the base of my skull and up to the top of my head from the back. It's not all at the same time so it's really weird. I seriously hope this isn't something else to deal with.

Anyone else have this? I shall cry now....
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Postby mac » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi Linda...

Sorry you have this going on. As I read your post, I thought that perhaps you are doing something that is riling things up a bit. You are describing classic neuropathy. Do you take Topamax? I don't, but thinking of giving it a try. It works well for this sort of neuropathy, I've been told, though some people have had real issues with it, like Glenna and Kiminfla, with their eyesight going bad on it.

So, my thoughts are look at what might causing it (in my case, it's always overheating, sweating because of exertion even of a small kind). I take a cold shower and then sit down and it seems to go away, til the next time.

hugs
mac
mac

Postby CrazyCat » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:04 pm

Hey mac,

They have tried me on Topamax. Couldn't take it. 99% of the meds they try me on make me so sick to my stomach, vision issues, aggitated beyond belief or I just become a total zombie. They only thing I am on is a pain med that isn't helping much at all. I can't sleep at all, really sick to my stomach now and everything else seems to be going overboard. I am staying cool, taking extra showers to just relax and just trying to be good for a change and this is what I get. :)
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Postby mac » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Linda, I'm glad you are taking those cool showers...

I find those pins and needles really fire up for me when I get hot...and my heart rate elevates. I don't know why physically it causes neuropathy but I can guess. So, well, you know the drill!! I hope you can get to TCI very fast!! In some extreme cases, they will take people in on a more emergent basis, in cases of brainstem compression, heart symptoms, breathing etc...it's something to think about.

Also, about the nausea, I just wrote about this, but will mention again what I've found recently that totally does the trick for me. My nausea is nerve related (brainstem compression) and this actually helps. The ginger....I got powdered ginger. And get a glass with ice cubes, water, sprinkle the ginger in there moderately...add a little splenda if you like, then stir briskly and drink thru straw and it tastes yummy AND it totally settles my stomach!!

hugs
mac
mac

Postby Debster » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:57 pm

I also get the pins and needles thing in my fingertips, toes and tongue. For the past 4 years (prior to my dx) I noticed I began noticing visual issues that I thought were a result of starting a new career in which I am frequently on the computer.

When I first read Mac's response, (goes to show I am do have vision issues), I thought she wrote, "have you tried TAMPAX" LOL.........
I was thinking to myself, "now what in the world would Tampax have to do with the pins and needles?" I continued to read and found that some people get upset stomachs from it...........again I thought, "Geez, why would a tampon cause an upset stomach?"........LOL.........I went back and read it again, this time a little closer to the screen.............ok...........now I get it.............Lol.............I sat here and had a chuckle. I'm glad I could laugh at myself tonight..............I hope it gives others a laugh too.

Love to all,

Deb
Debster

Postby mac » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 am

Deb, it definitely gave ME a laugh, ha!! I do this same thing ALL the time, I read things wrong, my brain reads them wrong and it is funny a lot of the time. I can't remember any examples right now (did I mention memory issues, too, ha!!) though.

Oh, off to bed for me but with a good laugh.

hugs and nighty nights to you,
mac
mac

Postby CrazyCat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:22 am

I only answered no to 6-8 questions on the packet I emailed last week Mac. I've had the fast heart rate and breathing issues for a while now. The sick tummy started a few days ago and won't go away. I may have to try your suggestion. I like ginger. I make an awesome ginger sauce for the Mahi-Mahi we fix on the grill.

Debster thanks for the chuckle. :) I do the same thing and have to read stufff over and over.
CrazyCat

Postby Mary Alice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:36 am

I must say that I've never tried Tampax for the pins and needles <grin> but, what the heck, maybe there is a way to make it work!!

I do take Topamax. I started taking it for management of Migraines before I ever knew that the ACM was the culprit for so many of my issues. Topamax itself can cause pins and needles feelings in hands and feet. I had those for a bit when I first started taking it......nothing continual, just now and then. It stopped for a while, but then I would have them again and just always blamed the Topamax. Later, when we discovered the progressing ACM and other stuff that was clearly ACM, I told my neurologist that I thought the pins and needles were from Topamax, and she said that it should only happen in the first little bit of taking it as a new medicine. Hmmm...if I knew then what I know now????

Another interesting/bizarre side effect of Topamax is what it does to carbonated drinks. Have you heard about this one? It makes them taste completely flat and warm. I am not a big alcohol drinker, but now and then an icy cold Shiner Bock (Texas thing) draft beer will just really hit the spot. My husband took me out to dinner a few weeks after I had started Topamax, and I had figured out that it made Diet Coke taste like crap but had not broadened that to the world of beer yet. I ordered a Large Icy Shiner in a mug, took the first sip, and must of had a horrible look on my face. My husband asked what was wrong.....and I said, "It tastes just like Diet Coke". He asked what I was going to do, and I told him I was going to drink every last d** sip of it because I deserved it!

Anyway I haven't had a carbonated beverage of any sort in over a year which is really very good for me. That also means I've cut way back on my caffeine intake cause I'm not much of a coffee drinker.

An interesting site to look at some of the side effects of these meds is http://www.crazymeds.org/. It's not exactly scientific but has some very interesting "from the horse's mouth" information!

Mary Alice
Mary Alice

Postby CrazyCat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:07 am

Yeah I don't do well on meds. I always react weird to them for some reason. Just my luck eh? So thanks to all the crazy stuff going on in this body of mine I am not sleeping and it's driving me nuts. I miss the 1 1/2 hours I use to get. At some point I guess I will just fall over. Time to crawl to the coffee pot since I can't sleep again....yawn.....
CrazyCat

Postby CrazyCat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:10 am

This is getting totally annoying. Now I am getting the feeling like someone walked up and stuck me with a very large needle in different places. My eyesight is really getting bad. My right eye goes blurry, then about 10 seconds after it clears up my left eye goes blurry and then back to the right. There are times during the day that whatever I am looking at just goes crazy and moves really fast to the right and left. Makes one want to barf when that happens.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

{{{HUGS}}}
CrazyCat

Postby mac » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 am

Linda,

One thing I'd like to mention to you is sleep deprivation. You've had SD for a long, long time. I know from first hand experience was SD can do to you (my mother had it for months and she began talking stream of consciousness, having hallucinations, reality slipped away from her and eventually, she had a nervous breakdown. I checked her into a hospital and they put her to sleep for 3 days. Now, if she is not getting sleep, I can tell just by hearing her voice. And I make sure her doctor knows to get her to sleep.

I know you said meds are a problem for you to take. But there has to be a way to get you some more sleep, I worry about you. Can you get to a good sleep clinic? They would help you somehow, I'm sure. At least, I hope they would. Your lack of sleep over a long period of time really worries me, and some of your added symptoms could be due to this (possibly)...

just some thoughts, cause I care!

mac
mac

Postby CrazyCat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks mac. I just laid down and took a wonderful 30 minute nap. Felt great! I am in so much pain I could just die but that's ok.
CrazyCat

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders