the pain is not easing up anymore

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

the pain is not easing up anymore

Postby wildfire » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:23 am

I used to have breaks inbetween pain; months, weeks, now it is days. my syrinx has not changed but I know I have. I am getting worse. I miss the days when all I felt was tingeling & numbness. now it is unrelenting pain that comes in waves. it is always a combination of three; a burning like my arm & hand is on fire, a hot knife in my upper arm/shoulder and electrical jolts that run up & down my arm. I am not looking foreward to the future with this. I don't mean to complain. noone understands how I feel, I don't even try to explain this anymore. my meds are being changed. I am leaning on vicodin right now, it is the only thing that keeps the edge off, barely.
wildfire

hello

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:27 am

Yes it does sound like you need a medication change . Do you just have SM ? There are some new meds . Do you have a Dr. that understands SM ? Or try a pain clinic . Believe you mee we all have been there , and still there.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

yes

Postby wildfire » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:58 pm

I have SM, not chairi. My doctor is knowlegable of the disease, I have been to pain management, not a good idea for me. no surgery as an option. I am starting lyrica. I have accepted the fact that the pain is not leaving, I am just frustrated right now.
wildfire

pain

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Think positive , the Lyrica may do the trick . If it doesnt there are others . best wishes
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Stacie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:18 pm

I hope Lyrica works for you - it has for me. I take it along w/Cymbalta. I don't know how an anti-depressant (Cymbalta) works on nerve pain, but it does. Keep this in mind & you might ask your doc about it. I know what you mean about the burning arm, and hands! Then that radiates up to the shoulder & into the back of my head. I don't have CM either - only SM. Good luck with the Lyrica - I hope it's helpful to you!!
Stacie

Postby mac » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:48 am

Stacie, I learned on a Discovery Health TV program once that depression follows the same nerve pathways as pain. Depression can cause pain...and pain causes depression. (I take Cymbalta too...I can't say how great it works on pain b/c I don't know how I'd be without it. I take Norco five times a day on top of the Cymbalta. Still in a lot of pain.)

anyway, just wanted to add that into the mix, FWIW...

mac
mac

Postby heaven » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi, wildfire. I (as I am sure everyone else who visits this site) understand about the pain. I also take Lyrica, max dose of 300mg daily. I still have the terrible breakthrough pain (take oxy for it) and thought the Lyrica wasn't doing anything. However, I stopped it for 1 day and immediately realized that it was helping. Hope it works for you. My prayers are with you.
heaven

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders