Official countdown to surgery

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Official countdown to surgery

Postby Mary Alice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am

My decompression surgery is Wednesday 6/27, and I think it is really starting to feel real now! I am about as maxed out on stress as possible, crying at the drop of a hat or sometimes for no reason at all. BUT trying not to cry or even seem stressed too much in front of my kids because I don't want them to worry more than they already are. They are only 10, 7, and 4.

My 10 year old is very bright and asked yesterday what exactly they are going to do to me in surgery. I put her off because I had just been at the hospital for 4 1/2 hours getting three more MRIs, but I know that conversation will happen today.

I still have to figure out exactly what to pack to take with me, so my husband isn't scrambling with that before I'm moved from ICU to a regular room. My mom gets here tomorrow. Bless her heart...she lives in Florida but is in Boston with her husband so is flying here straight from there.

Anyway, I don't even know where to start with what to try to get done. I only have a few hours a day of activity before I'm completely wiped. The multiple hours at the hospital yesterday about did me in!!
Any advice about the 2 1/2 days left before surgery, bring it on!!!

Mary Alice, Texas, ACM, SM, decompression 6/27/07
Mary Alice

Postby mac » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:08 pm

Mary Alice, my only word of advice is to have faith! Give it all to God (as my friend says, "put it into the God envelope") and let Him BE God! You will do fine!

I'm so happy to know your mother will be there to help you and your husband and children.

Try not to stress, you know the drill around this place: Stress makes you worse!!

Probably trying to have some relaxing times with the family, watching movies or playing board games, whatever, might be a nice way to spend a few hours.

My prayers are with you.

gentle hugs
mac
mac

Postby hayla2 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Mary Alice, I am with you on the count down. My surgery is Friday. I too am stressed, scared, anxious, etc. I am trying to keep my head on and focus to get things done so hubby wont have as much to do. Hang in there. Melissa
hayla2

Postby Mary Alice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks, guys! I know to let go of the stress, but it's tough.

Good luck to you to Melissa. Where is your surgery being done? We'll be like surgery partners!

Mary Alice
Mary Alice

Postby mac » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Melissa, my thoughts and prayers will be and are with you, as well. May God's angels guide the medical staff and surgery staff for both of you.

Melissa, are you having the PFD, as well? I'm sorry, I've forgotten. Me bad!!

hugs
mac
mac

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders