No answers about the future

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

No answers about the future

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:46 pm

I have made a couple of topics about this before but it still bothers me. I don't know what my future with SM is gonna be like or even what is likely to happen. It's likely to slowly progress, but am I going to end up paralyzed? Dead? My doctors don't tell me anything, probably because they don't know anything.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby donbr » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi
your asking a question thats next to impossible to answer.
sm will effect everyone differantly.
will you end up paralized or dead. Probably not, just keep the syrinx monitered with mri's and if symtoms start changing or getting worse tell your Dr. I'm sure others know exactly how they personally feel more than i could my wife has chiari without sm.
Take care
Don
donbr

Postby angie7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:58 pm

That's one tough question with no real answer. Like Don said, this effects everyone differently. Our future is shadowed b/c we dont know what will happen. Can it progress to the point of paralysis, yes, can it kill you, in extreme cases, yes, is it likely uh, probably not.

The best way is to take it a day at a time. I try not to think about what the future holds and just enjoy each day to the fullest. Focusing on the future that no one knows, is only going to cause you more stress in your life. I understand your concern, I really do, but there isnt anything we can change, nothing we can make better so we just have to enjoy each day and let everyone around us know how we feel about them.

Just continue to see your doctor for regular MRI's, keep in monitored and if your symptoms change see your doc.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby specialmomx2 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Nobody knows the future. You coudl be perfectly healthy, with a glittering future ahead of you and a tractor trailer veers out of control on the highway and kills you dead.

Or you could have SM and know it is potentially debilitating, but ssomehow you muddle through.

I often wonder How much does the stress of worrying about the future ADDS to the problems already inherent with SM and turns the horrors into self-fulfilling prophecies?

It's like a plot from The Twilight Zone...

Live every day to the absolute fullest you can. It may be you last.

...there are tractor-trailers everywhere. :wink:

-Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

Postby SMLady » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:23 am

I agree with everything Angie said. You just take life one day at a time. Tomorrow isn't promised to anybody, so I try to not even worry about it. I'm lucky I have other things to focus on - my husband, my little boy, my job. I just try to live each day as it is given to me, the good and the bad, because there are no guarantees.
SMLady

Postby petsmom » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:12 pm

I'm with Angie on this one. Stressing on what may happen can make a chronic disorder act up worse due to mentally stressing. That has been established. We are cautioned to avoid undue stress as it messes with blood pressure and CSF flow, etc.

But any illness can seem worse when we let our minds "wonder" too much. We see every little ache or pain or whatever as being something worse than actually may be. When we stress we tense up, muscles spazz and then more pain. Can become a viscious cycle.

Enjoy today for today. Find blessings in the things you can do and enjoy. Let the Almighty worry about your tomorrows.

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders