Can I get a handicap permit?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Can I get a handicap permit?

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:16 am

I don't have any mobility problems except I get exhausted and now and then have temporary paralysis (only lasts a few minutes). I am worried because I can't get across campus on foot. It's too hard for me. And there's nowhere to park. I honestly don't know if I can handle college again. It's a struggle for me just to get to class and by the time I would get there, I'd be so worn out I'd need to sleep.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby hartagold23 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 am

I'm in NH and I was able to get mine through the mail. I had to fill out a disability form, mailed it to my doc for him to write a comment about my disability and then he signed it and mailed it in, then my permit arrived by mail. I have to renew it every 7 years, even though my disability is permanent (spina bifida).

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby petsmom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 pm

I've had mine awhiles now. Even when we just suspected MS my pcp signed my form for me. The doctor that sees you most and has knowledge of symptoms would normally fill it out.

Please check with your campus about students with disabilities now. Most have lots of help available to you, by law !!! This is your right to explore what options are available to you, even if not disabled 24/7.

Dawn, TNgal
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Postby hartagold23 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:38 pm

EXACTLY, Dawn! When I was in college, they had a campus van take me from class to class. Great suggestion!

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby kirafaye » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 am

In Australia it was too easy I downloaded the form filled it out and sent it to my doc. Then sent it to the depratment of transport and now I have one till 2011. As for uni I have the same problrm. I have luckily found a spot thats useless for wheelchairs but just close enough for meand I never have to drive 3km away to find a park. Plus my disability officer says I can get a scooter for the day if needed, but I feel if I am down to that I don't see me being able to get there first. Good luck this exact problem is hurting my education.
kirafaye

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 am

I called about seeing if I could get a van to take me, but from what I've seen the students show up at the disabilities center before the van drives them. I don't know if it picks them up wherever they want. Guess I'll ask about that again. But it'd still be better for me if I could get a handicap permit.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Hi Cyborg Ninja!

Here in Arkansas, what you do is go to the revenuer's (Revenue Dept.) and pick up a form. Fill it out and take it to your doctor's office, drop it off, I suggest attaching a note on it explaining to the doc why you need it, the difficulty you have walking long distances.

If you have an appt, you can take it in with you. But what I did was pick up the form, attach a note explaining that I needed it part-time. I couldn't afford another appt. just for that at the time. I stapled it to a self-addressed, stamped envelope and it was no problem.

It shouldn't be a problem. Just let the doc know you need it as soon as you can get it back, for school, you know?

Wishing you well!

love,
sandy
Sandy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders