HLA-B27 and ankylosing spondylitis

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

HLA-B27 and ankylosing spondylitis

Postby unicorns » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:01 am

I happen to be HLA-B27 positive and may have ankylosing spondylitis, which is a type of arthritis which causes your back to try to turn into one long bone, as the immune system is attacking the tissues between the vertebra. I also have a small syrinx in my thoracic area. My rheumatologist made a startling statement saying that "oh, yes I see syrinxes sometimes in HLA-B27 patients." So my question is, are there any others out there who have this?
Barbara
unicorns

Postby specialmomx2 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 am

I was tested for ankylosing spondylitis, but the results were negative, so I have no real advice. Sorry.

However I do send you hugs and support, bcause that is a nasty DX to be landed with. I looked it up when they were testing me.

-Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

Postby unicorns » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:45 am

Thanks - he's still not sure I have it. Not everyone who is HLA-B27 positive has it, but it seems to fit my symptoms. It surprised me that he said he sees syrinxes in other patients who have it, though, and wondered if it could be a cause.
Barbara
unicorns

hlb27

Postby prism » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:45 pm

years ago my sister payed for our whole family to be tested since she has it. if you have any specific questions i could ask her- or maybe forward some to her. (warning she is all about no drugs, and Gerson therapy approach to 'healing' which is a very restrictive diet)
i tested negative.
hope you get some help- prism
prism

Postby unicorns » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks - I've been living with the ankylosing spondylitis (AS) dx for quite a while - I'm just new to SM. The really strange part is that my DH has AS too!!! At least we are able to commiserate and understand each other regarding how we feel. I'm lucky in that respect.
Barbara
unicorns

Postby donbr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi I have a friend that has AS She went through all the people in her family that had it but i cant remember how many.
When we told them that my wife had acm and that its possibly for her to develope sm they really didnt understand the cm but sm they knew exactly what it was.
Knowing just a little about AS i would have to guess you could get sm due to the AS.
obviously cant say for sure so thats just a guess
Take care
Don
donbr

Postby unicorns » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Don:

That's really interesting - thanks for letting me know - who knew they could be related? but they both affect the spine, so why not? Thanks again!
Barbara
unicorns

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders