medic alert braclets

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

medic alert braclets

Postby prism » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am

hi again,

since i'm having so much trouble, still getting around and not knowing when i might have some kind of 'seizure' type problem or drop attack type problem or other extreme weird symptoms :roll: i've been thinking i need to get a medic alert braclet. i've put it off, cuz i'd like to know for cErtain what the problems are...
my 'working dx's are just 'working' ones...
i suppose my reasons for thinking about getting one are different than the usual. Yes, i want to ensure stability and care for my neck and head for the EDS and Chiari, regardless... maybe my having had heart surgery would be important? but i admit my main reason right now for getting one would be to avoid being taken to ER needlessly...

Anyone care to share? comment? Thanks. :wink: prism
prism

Postby jjames » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:14 am

Prism, I agree with Keesha that it is not a bad idea to get a bracelet or something in case of an emergency. I, too, wear one with just the basic info so that if (God forbid) anything were to happen, they would at least know my history. My doc actually recommended that I wear one.
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby Debster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Gosh, I never thought about wearing a bracelet for the ACM. My oldest son has been bugging me about getting a bracelet since I had a really bad allergic reaction to Keflex. Long story......but during that horrible reaction they also gave me penicillin which is the same class as Keflex. I had such a bad rash, this was 4 years ago, that I am still having residual skin issues.

I have chronic eczema and scars all over my legs not only from the rash, but from the chronic eczema that comes and goes. My oldest son keeps telling me I need to wear one in case I were ever unconscious and they needed to administer antibiotics.

I guess I would probably have to get 2 bracelets since in addition to the medication allergies, I also have ACM-1, hypothyroid and congenital spherocytosis which is a platelet disorder. Dang......I'll be wearing some serious "bling" if I put all my medical issues on bracelets!

Deb
Debster

Postby CrazyCat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:32 pm

I am going to get one as soon as I can pull it together to find a site that sells them. No sleep...days...yawn...I am an accident waiting to happen when I am out and at home.
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Reaction to antibiotic is Herxheimer

Postby amigo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 pm

The reaction to Keflex (or any other antibiotic) is most likely what's referred to as Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction or shock. It's a sign that intracellular bacteria (bacteria smaller than viruses that have invaded the phagocytes, thus cannot be killed by the very cells designed to kill them in the first place) are being killed off releasing endotoxins into the system.

Believe it or not, it's a good sign as it's an indication of the root cause of illness. It's treatable.
amigo

Re: Reaction to antibiotic is Herxheimer

Postby amigo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Here's information on Herxheimer:

http://tinyurl.com/8xhmy
http://tinyurl.com/4feuk
amigo

Postby prism » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing people...
Keesha, I looked up the site you posted on the other forum and have a question, maybe you can answer-- (if not I'll just wait and ask them)
I was confused- the information about your healthcare is put on the back And? on a card in your wallet- oR with some kind of service you pay for to keep your info?
And about replacement ID's. You mentioned that this place does replacements and not all do-- is that what you meant?
http://www.creativemedicalid.com/home

thanks. prism
(i'm afraid to go anywhere for fear of ending up in ER. (hell) and desperate to get out of the house more often. :oops:
prism

medic alert

Postby prism » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:30 pm

on second thought, maybe this is crazy - but would ending up in ER a few times convince my insurance that i need more testing done? (they are denying everything right now)
:roll: prism
prism

Postby equestrian » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Prism,
I just got one. I put my name on the front, and put:

Do Not Hyperextend Neck
Syrinx C5- T2, Poss. Chiari
Call Jeff #***-***-***
on the back.

My husband used to be an EMT and combat medic. He agreed that it would be a very good idea. I feel much better having it on. The only concern I had was if I got in an accident and it was someone else's fault, I might get challenged by the insurance co. if my Syrinx was made worse or I was paralized. I could see them refering to it as pre-existing. I decided to put it in God's hands and wear one so as maybe to prevent future damage by medics or doctors.

I got mine from American Medical Id.
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marke ... 1048027492
All the best of luck.
:D Lisa
equestrian

Postby gncrzy3 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:13 am

I inquired about one,, and was told that there was no use,, that if I was in an accident,,, that they would take spinal precautions...but I am I also have had my lower back fused,, and am scheduled to have my kneck fused with a metal plate and screws... what kind of ID would I get,, I have had over 20 surgeries and am on so many meds,, and no doctors in my area,, besides my neurologist,, even know what sm and basilar invagintion are!! I am really frustrated
gncrzy3

Postby rcdad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Hello to ALL !!!

My PM Dr. said it is a must for any of us on any type of pain meds.

I got my bracelet at the drug store for only $10.00 (most carry them)

My bracelet opens and I even keep a few meds inside. It say's to SEE WALET INFO card.

For me the most inportant thing is my meds. I like to call them my M&M's But the Dr's call it Methadone and Morphine.

Just something to think about !!!

A wonderful day to ALL. Vince
rcdad

Postby kirafaye » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:58 am

These can be helpful for the people among us who have frequently changing problems and don't want a membership and need LOTS of lines to write in.
http://www.safetyproductsunlimited.com/medscope.html
http://socalcruisers.com/services.html
kirafaye

medic alert

Postby prism » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 am

hi,

I just wanted to share that my medic alert braclet should be well on it's way~ a pretty one in fact! I'm glad I ordered one after what happened last night :shock: or no one would want to take me anywhere. So now, I'll be :roll: practically, good to go.... prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders