Other new benefits from my surgery!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Other new benefits from my surgery!

Postby hartagold23 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:47 am

Hi, everyone!

Besides becoming un-paralyzed from my TC surgery in May, I just discovered some of the peripheral neuropathy has been relieved. You may remember a while back I mentioned I couldn't get my hair dyed anymore the normal way because it burned my scalp very badly and I had been itching very badly in the midspine area and scalp. Well, the intense itching has stopped and I just went to my salon to see what would happen with dyeing. Unbelievable! My stylist was able to apply the color to my whole scalp again and absolutely NO burning! And it's the same dye she has always used--nothing special, just regular dye! It felt normal, like it did years ago!

I've also noticed that my severe mid-back pain has almost totally vanished. I can wear a bra again! Even when I cough or sneeze, it's not hurting anymore!

So I think this means my syrinx drained somewhat from my detethering surgery. What about you all? Do you think that could be it?

Wow, so many good things have come from this surgery--what a blessing from God!

Barb :)
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby Debster » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:55 pm

What great news, and an answer to prayer! Sounds like the surgery was a success for you in more ways than one. I am really happy for you.

I have ACM-1, but don't know if I have TC. I was curious where and who did your surgery?

Hope you continue to enjoy many more great days.

Deb
Debster

Postby hartagold23 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi, Deb

My surgery was done at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, New Hampshire) by 2 neurosurgeons: Dr. Susan Durham (a pediatric neurosurgeon) and Dr. Nathan Simmons (neurosurgeon). They said they usually need to call in a pediatric neurosurgeon for a tethered cord because they usually see such a thing in babies, so those neurosurgeons have more experience with tethered cords.

Anyway, they detethered me (in the lumbrosacral area) and also they fixed my previous operation down there which was a type of spina bifida operation, originally done on me as a baby in 1961. They said the original doctor hadn't done much. So they went above and beyond the call of duty. When I awoke, about 95% of my pre-surgery pain had vanished, my left leg was no longer paralyzed (it had been for a year), and I had absolutely NO pain at the incision site! The worst part of "after surgery" was the spinal headache, which lasted 10 days.

The only thing that hasn't happened is walking without any assistive devices. I still have to use a walker because of spasms which can make me fall. But I am going through physical therapy and hoping that will calm the spasms down. I've been afraid to go back to my usual hangouts with friends because if they see that I'm still unable to walk without the walker, they'll think the surgery was not a success. So, I'm trying the physical therapy for a month or two to see if that helps. I sure hope it does.

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby Snoozie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Good news Barb, glad to hear it. I pray that you will continue to improve and you can throw that walker out. Thanks for sharing...Sue
Snoozie

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders