swimming to relieve symptoms

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

swimming to relieve symptoms

Postby kathy_h_87120 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:32 am

I understand that it is important to lose weight when diagnosed with a SM. I was wondering if anyone had spoken to their doctor or physical therapist about using a pool to exercise to take weight off pain areas when exercising? I am quite severely overweight and would have made up my mind to lose it but I seem to get nauseaus when I do too much and my arm and shoulder starts hurting bad if I do a lot of walking. So I thought about getting one of these 10' x 30" swimming pools for the back yard and just using it for exercise. I don't have an appointment with the neurologist until end of July and I dont think my PCP is really up to date on SM. Thought maybe someone else had already talked to their doctor about this.
kathy_h_87120

Postby donbr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:43 am

Yep my wifes NS, her orthapedic Dr, pcp and her PM Dr all said that water therapy would be good for her. We have a 15ftx4ft She doesnt have sm and she just gets in plays around in it cant help getting some exercise.
take care
Don
donbr

Postby Ryzing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Kathy,

I have SM - and a pool in the backyard. I've been swimming nearly every day in the summer for 6 years with no problems/symptom flares afterward. I am very careful about not over-doing it, though. I agree with the other advice given above about water walking - it's great exercise. I know the kind of pool you are thinking about getting - we had one before we bought this 18' X 4' one. They are very nice to have, especially to just cool off in or do spot exercises in, like kicking.

Swimming, for me, has been effective exercise. But that's me. Others on the board have had pain and symptom flare-ups after doing certain types of swimming strokes, etc. Maybe before you get the pool, you could visit a rec center in your area to see if swimming will make you feel better or worse.

Wishing you the best :D ,

Diane

p.s. I wanted to add that I got the green light from my neurologist on swimming....in moderation, as long as it wasn't strenuous and for long periods of time.
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby kathy_h_87120 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:27 pm

I used to swim a couple of hours a day that was one of the things that I thinks caused a flairup in the pain in my shoulder and arm so I wasn't really planning on swimming just doing some exercising. I used to belong to the Y here in town but they have some many kids classes in the summer that they didn't have many times a person could just mess around in the pool. I used to tread water for an hour then swim for an hour or an hour and a half but you also have to wear a suit there and I am so fat I can't fit into one comfortable. So I was thinking one of these 10 x 30" ones would at least work for the summer.
kathy_h_87120

Postby Ryzing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Kathy,

Sounds good - give it a try and see how you like it :D . Like I said, we had one of those pools and we loved it - the only reason we got rid of it was because our kids got older and we outgrew it. They're easy to set up and easy to take down!

Good luck :)

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders