Keeping muscle tone

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Keeping muscle tone

Postby xenifuse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi, I posted awhile back telling my story on how I was just recently (in May) diagnosed with SM.

These forums have been invaluable to me, especially since I haven't seen a doctor since May when I was diagnosed. I'm not able to get an appointment with my family doctor until August when she's back from vacation. So you all have pretty much been my entire source of information.

I've seen it mentioned several times now that we are not able to build on muscle tone and was wondering if an EMS/TENS machine would be beneficial? A physiotherapist used an EMS machine on me probably close to 15 years ago to help strengthen the muscles in my legs after a car accident.

Any thoughts?

Also unrelated, any idea why I keep having to re-register everytime I want to log into the site? lol

I had received PMs from several people before the forums went down (one from another web designer in particular) but my memory is not great and I'm not sure if I ever answered those PMs before the site went down or not. If I didn't, sorry! :D
Last edited by xenifuse on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenifuse

Postby SMLady » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Hello. I'm sorry you got diagnosed with this too. I use a tens unit sometimes to help with the pain, and it works ok. Before you buy one from your doctor, you might want to try to get one over the internet. I paid my doctor $450 for mine, and then I found it on the internet for $50. Of course it said you needed a prescription from your doctor, but these places usually will take your money no matter what.

I wasn't aware that people with SM can't develop muscle tone. Now I can't do situps and I can only lift limited weight, but I am able to exercise my legs and do some arm things so I can maintain the muscle tone I have, but this is the first I've heard that you can't develop it.

You learn something new every day! Take care.
SMLady

Postby petsmom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:42 pm

I have a TENS unit I aquired some years back and do use it to relieve spastic areas. I am interested in what exercises are "safe" and will not be strain on thoracic area. I don't want to lose what little muscle tone is left in all 4 limbs. I had been through several rounds of PT years past and paid dearly for every session with days and days of intense all over body pain.

I had not heard that about building muscle either. Only that we have to be careful not put a strain on the syrinx and many activities will do just that. I also have to work around some disc problems neck and lower spine. Can be pretty limiting.

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders