Size of syrinx

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Size of syrinx

Postby Ivysmom » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 am

I'm wondering how large does a syrinx need to be before it causes any symptoms?
Ivysmom

Postby specialmomx2 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 am

It's different for everyone.

Some people can have a huge syrinx and virtually no symptoms. Some can have a tiny syrinx and be in total agony.

Size truly doesn't matter... many medical professionals will attempt to tell you it does, but let them walk a day in a pair of our shoes and then attempt to say the same thing.

Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

Postby Ryzing » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:42 am

I agree with Paula - my syrinx is large...C3-L2 and my symptoms compared to many others on this board seem minimal. Don't get me wrong - I have symptoms, and they are irritating as h-e double sticks, but there are people here with syringes that are smaller who suffer more than I do with this condition, guaranteed.
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby SMLady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:43 am

Yes, Paula is correct. Size doesn't matter when it comes to a syrinx. The doctor I'm primarily seeing now told me that he has some patients with very large syrinx's who have very little pain, and others with tiny ones who have so much pain they need a walker. Everyone is different.

How big is yours? Does it give you a lot of problems?
SMLady

Postby angie7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:21 pm

I have always heard that it isnt the length but the width that causes the most symptoms. My NL said that you can think of it like this. My syrinx is 2mm wide, the spinal cord is 10mm so my syrinx takes up 20% of my spinal cord. The wider it is the more it takes up, putting more pressure on precious nerves thus causing symptoms...
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:53 pm

Doctors say that width is what matters because the larger in width a syrinx is, the more it spreads out and damages the white matter of the spinal cord. This isn't entirely accurate though, because not everyone has a syrinx directly in the middle of the spinal cord (though I think most do), and sometimes little areas can burst and that might not show up well on an MRI. Also, I think pain is common because the spinothalamic tracts cross over in the middle of the spinal cord, just below the central canal.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby angie7 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:48 am

Keesha wrote:As the others said, it's more the length than the width.

I know that you mixed length and width but just wanted to clarify that you meant that width is worse the length....
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders