Going to see Dr Oro!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Going to see Dr Oro!

Postby angie7 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:53 pm

As many of you know I had my NL refer me to Dr Oro and have been waiting on ins approval which the person at the ins office made it sound like it wouldnt happen b/c he was out-of-network. My NL called me today to inform me that the type of ins we have has a multi-coverage plan and Dr Oro is on it, he is considered in-network! So he is covered 100% and I dont have to jump through hoops to go see him. I am calling tomorrow to set up an apt to go see him for further tests and talk about the fusion surgery.

Guys, I am SOOO scared! I was okay until I got this news. Now I know it will happen and I am scared out of my mind. Not so much the surgery but what about my kids while I am gone and recouping? Also I have to fly, never flown before and I dont want to fly but it would it is a 16 hour one way trip to see him and that is WAY too long and I have to worry about saving up the $$ to go see him. My mom is going to be caring for the kids but I enjoy romping with them and I am not the type of person to lay around and do nothing.

Hopefully he can give me some more info about what restrictions I have post op. I am sure I wont be able to hold the kids for at least 4 weeks but hopefully I will be allowed to sit on the floor and play with them. I have only left my kids for 1 nite and that wasnt my choice. It was our aniversary and my dh insisted on it :roll: It was SO hard being away from them and I was there to pick them up by 7 the next morning haha!

I need some encouraging words....
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby kiminfla » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 am

Angie, What great news that you won't have to jump through the insurance hoops -- YAY! I know it will be hard to leave your babies. (My kids are 5 and 8 and aren't thrilled when I have to go to Miami for follow up as it requires a one night stay over -- my son is always afraid I'll be gone a long time -- I'm sure he's remembering my 10 day hospital stay when we thought I'd be home in 5 or 6 days) I know 10 days is less than many have had to deal with but to a 5 year old it seemed like forever!)

As for the encouraging words, Try to keep reminding yourself of the reason you're going and what a positive effect this will have on your girls when all is said and done. May the surgery and immediate restrictions following it be a short term limitation for a long term benefit! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby angie7 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words, Kim. It is nice to hear!!!

My apt is July 23rd so from there I will find out the extent of the spinal cord pressure, do some "in-motion" type xrays, surgery details and probably set a date, etc. I am expecting the surgery to take place sometime in August which will put me exactly 3 years post-op of decompression surgery. We are flying out on Sunday, the apt is Monday morning and we are flying back that same nite. Going to make for a long few days!!!

Right now I am trying to arrange flight plans, rental cars, hotels, etc. Argh! It can be aggravating. We have a 3 hours lay over in Atlanta on Sunday, hopefully my dh's grandparents & his uncle (they live right outside of Atlanta) can come to the airport so we can visit with them for a little while which will be nice.

Wish me well, I will let you all know what he says!
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby mac » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Angie, I know you will do well! I bet you feel better just having made the decision. All will work out well with the girls and Mommy will get fixed up and able to enjoy them even more! You go girl!

love, mac
mac

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders