Question About Neck Pain Remedies??

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Question About Neck Pain Remedies??

Postby youngwife » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Ok, got a :?: for ya!

I KNOW Rachael is having high intracranial pressure. A few weeks ago, she had four baby teeth taken out at the dentist office. They gave her a gas mask.....guess what happened as soon as she inhaled the gas? Her head pressure increased. So, on top of having teeth/gum pain, she left with a terrible high pressure headache.

My question is, she is having a lot of neck pain. I do know that neck pain is a symptom of PTC, but it is also a symptom of CM. What do you'all do for your neck pain? Have you discovered anything that helps?

Thank you so much for your insight. :)
youngwife

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Rachel,

Heat helps my neck pain but it makes other people's worse. Some people say cold gel packs help their neck pain, that's half alcohol and half water in a baggie and frozen.

I guess just kind of see what feels best, until you can find something out. ALso a good pillow is very important for me.

I use a soft collar a lot. It helps me be able to do more, and she might try leaning back some, the head can really be a weight on the neck.

I'm so sorry. You're such a good mom trying to hard to help her feel better.

My prayers are with you both.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby blue1 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi :D ,
I am not sure but children are probably more tolerant then you or I only because they haven' gotten to learn the norm long enough. I found this web site and I can only pray it will give ya'll some peace.
XOXO
Christine

http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/bhm-list.htm
blue1

Postby mac » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi,

One of the things that really helps with neck pain, either from SM, CM or instability, is wearing a soft collar. Many here have found that it is amazing how helpful this is.

You can pick up a collar at any medical supply store. Ask for help with fitting. The fit is very, very important. You do not want the collar so tall that it tips her chin back, and you don't want it so short that it allows her to hyper flex her neck. These are soft foam collars and are covered with a "sock" material. If you cannot find the exact fit, then buy the size that is one size too tall, take it home, snip into the sock with scissors to expose the foam rubber.

Start taking off some of the heighth of it, taking off only small increments, until the size seems right. Just like Goldilocks! Just high enough to hold her chin nice and level.

Then you can sew back the sock. You can also make various covers for the collar out of scarf material or what have you, different pretty colors and patterns, etc. I find that silk scarf material makes the collar cooler than it was with just the original sock material.

Most doctors will say that wearing a collar is "counter productive" because it will weaken the neck muscles. But for one thing, they may not understand instability, etc. And also, they are right, so you don't want to wear it 24/7. Some people have posted here that they wear it 20 minutes and then take it off for awhile, maybe a couple of hours and then put it back on for 20 minutes.

Wear it in the car and during any physical activity. If she is sitting at a desk with her neck hyperflexed while she studies, this position can cause many symptoms to arise even beyond simple neck pain. Headaches, problems with ICP, because this position is compressing nerves and altering CSF flow in some cases. This would be a good time to use the collar.

Some behavioral adjustments may help, realising what positions cause HAs. Also avoiding stress as much as possible.

I really suggest giving the soft foam collar a try.

hth
mac
mac

Postby youngwife » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:17 am

:o How did I miss this!

What great practical suggestions!! Thank you so very much...we'll work on this one for sure!

And also, thank you for the link to the WACMA site....very helpful! :)
youngwife

that is very helpful, thank you

Postby trodi » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:33 am

Hello everyone! What wonderful helpful advice and suggestions. I thank you all. Keeping all of you in prayer.
Good night & God bless you all.
trodi

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders