lumbar puncture??

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

lumbar puncture??

Postby sparks42 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:47 am

Is lumbar puncture the same as spinal tap?

If not...what are differences?

Do you need to be awake?....or do they pass you out....or at least numb you?
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby WeeLassie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:18 am

WeeLassie

Postby cash71 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:52 am

I don't know about in the US but in Canada we can buy Emla over the counter too and I know that you are in Ontario Sparks. You would just have to know where they are doing it and then you can apply it just before leaving the house. I have a tube of it at home and use it whenever my daughters need lab work. It shouldn't be left on for more than about 90 minutes.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

thx

Postby sparks42 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Thank you cash!
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Sparks,

I recently had a Myelography, is also a lumbar puncture (or spinal tab)and they put a dye in and made a CT to see if there was a blockage in the subarachnoid space. I didn't feel a thing about the lumbar puncture or spinal tab. With a lumbar puncture they do also a spinal tab and take some fluid out for research. By me they put the same amount back as dye for the CT scan. All you have to do is listen carefully what the radiologist tells you to do.

I didn't get anaestestic or emla. With emla the point is the danger of an infection when they go into the spine because some emla will go with it into the spine, so I don't think they would use that.

I can be mistaken for I don't know if in the states they folow the same procedures.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby SMLady » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:03 pm

So the emla works? My 9-year-old son is having a mole cut out, and they prescribed this for me to rub on the area before we get there. Will it block out the pain from the needles?
SMLady

Postby WeeLassie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Sorry, my link didn't work. I'll find another.
Last edited by WeeLassie on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WeeLassie

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Emla works for minor things (in Holland) like giving anaestetics before an operation with kids to put te needle in, so I think that the emla will help for your son. My children got it when they had an operation when they were little. One for an ear operation and one for an bowel herniation.
syrinx48

Postby WeeLassie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Hope this helps.

http://www.emla.com.au/article/513462.aspx

Don't worry about anything topical going into the skin upon needle placement. The area is cleaned with an antiseptic (usually Betadine or at the very least sterile alcohol) before needle insertion.
WeeLassie

Postby cash71 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:52 pm

As a pediatric nurse for 8 years we used emla ALL the time. It is the most common "drug" that we use. It has to be on at least 40-45 min for any effect and shouldn't be on longer than about 90 min. We used if mostly for IV starts or lab work but I also put it on both my daughters ear lobes when they got them pierced and neither one of them felt a thing!

Before they would do a LP they would always wipe off the EMLA and then cleanse the skin with something like chlorhexadine to kill all bacteria. I don't think you would have to worry about EMLA getting into your spine. At least that's how they do it here.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby mrsariel » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Being stupid for a minute (not hard these days) :lol:

I happened to pull out my NS letter to my doctor and it said something about doing a spinal tap in 6 months.

Did someone say that this is a no no for someone with CM?

Just checking.
Lisa
CM 7mm diagnosed 12/06.
Tethered Cord diagnosed 10/07 @ TCI
TC surgery 5/13/08
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisas
mrsariel

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders