Good Alternative to Oxy?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Good Alternative to Oxy?

Postby heaven » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi, all. I've been taking Oxycodone awhile now for pain. The problem is that it upsets my stomach really bad. I have to suffer with severe pain until I am brave enough to take it again. Anyone know of any good alternative for the break through pain? Oh I'm allergic to lidociane and morphine. Thanks in advance.
heaven

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:59 pm

You're sure it's the oxycodone that's causing the stomach pains, right? I'm not sure what will be right for you since you're allergic to morphine. A lot of painkillers metabolize to morphine in the body. I thought oxycodone did. What kind of stomach pain have you gotten? Are they ulcers or an upset? I'm not sure what to suggest. I think most of the narcotics might cause the same discomfort. Have you had a blood test recently to check your liver functioning?
Cyborg Ninja

Pain

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:30 am

I agree I would check out the morphine. I get deathly sick at my stomach with it .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby kathymichelle » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:16 am

are you taking straight oxycodone or the percocet medication...?? There is a difference, oxycontin is straight oxycodone and it didn't upset my stomach.

Also, eating medication with a more solid food to avoid stomach upset.
kathymichelle

Postby sparks42 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:26 am

Heaven,

I also can't take percocet or oxycodone because it upsets my stomach.
I normally throw up after taking them, and then have a hard time keeping any food down.
I also am allergic to morphine...I get a super itch as far as I remember.

Just thought I'd let you know that I understand your frustration.

I currently take nothing fo the pain...I take sleeipng pills and goto bed when it's bad.....for me that's the only way away from the pain.

By the way.....what kind of pain do yuo duffer from? Headaches??
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby sylvester » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Yes, oxycodone can do that, according to my pain dr. It's a spasmodic and some people react that way. I got terrible pain that started in my stomach but spread to my chest and entire abdomen in one huge cramp that lasted about 60-90 minutes before it eased off. Then the nausea and vomiting started. It's enough to make you think twice about taking pain meds, no matter how bad the pain. I've also had that reaction with Tylenol #3. Hydrocodone, (Vicodin, Lortab, etc) which is chemically just slightly different, doesn't usually give me that same reaction (only once!) and I've been taking it a little over a year. Of course, it doesn't seem to do that much for my pain, either. When its bad, the hydrocodone will usually take the edge off a bit so I can get to sleep, but it doesn't seem to last very long.

Will your dr work with you to find something you can take ... that works?
sylvester

Postby donbr » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:00 pm

Have you tryied any of the tricyclics such as nortriptolyne or pamalor there somtimes used for pain
Don
donbr

Postby heaven » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Takes for all the info. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I take Colazal for it. I also take phenergan, Lyrica (300mg), protonix and Nadolol. Any yes, its the full oxycodone. I did try the oxycotin once and it didn't work for me.
heaven

Postby heaven » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:40 pm

Oh, Sparks, I suffer from migraines, burning pain in neck, back, shoulder, arm, chest, leg and stomach. Mostly the burning and sharp pain is in a cape distribution around my upper torso.
heaven

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders