Ringing in the ears

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Ringing in the ears

Postby Ivysmom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:13 pm

Is a constant ringing/buzzing in your ears part of this condition? I thought maybe it's a side effect of certain medications. Also, if a syrinx is found in your thoracic cord, could that make your foot painful and sometimes numb? I don't know if this is related or perhaps something else going on. Any feedback is appreciated.
Ivysmom

Postby lovemyblessings » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:22 pm

From what I know, ringing/buzzing/swooshing can all be part of Chiari and all of them can also be caused by high ICP.

I don't know a lot about syrinxes because Keegan doesn't have one, but he is complaining often about it feeling like there are ants running through his feet, which I'd guess would be a similar sensation.

ETA: Keegan (almost 5) has Chiari I and pseudotumor cerebri (and probably sleep apnea)
lovemyblessings

Postby daynthelife » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:38 pm

I have been dx with SM for almost 2 years and have had ringing in my ears for most of that time...I know it's not due to meds as I've really not been on any...I also have pain in my right foot and so far have only been dx with a cervical syrinx...hope this helps..

much luv,

Kathy
daynthelife

Postby AJ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi
I have a thorasic syrinx (T4 to T6 i think) I have ringing in my ears, fullness sensation in my head.

With regards to the foot question, that was the symptom I first went to my doctor with.
I have numb big toes, loss of sensation to the soles of my feet(their not tickleish) feel like something is crawling up my legs and also they often feel like I have been standing in the cold for ages and my feet are frozen. That is now more a pain than a sensation.

I also have very similar sensations in my arms and hands but have been told that a thorasic syrinx can't affect yours arms.

I am awainting the results of a recent MRI to find out how 'big' the syrinx is.

Hope this helps

Regards

AJ
AJ

Postby AJ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:58 pm

OH forgot to say I'm not on any medication so that rules out that as a side effect. Think I suffer memory loss to!!

AJ
AJ

ears

Postby razzle51 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:17 pm

Now my ear ringing I attribute to medication. cause I asked Dr to put me on some that didnt have the side effect of ringing in the ears and now my ears dont ring anymore. There are alot of meds that cause that. I have syrinx T4-10 and do not have leg or foot pain . Everybody is different . I had Chiari but had the surgery .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby dizzy2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:16 pm

I've had ringing, wooshing, fullness in my ears. That is how I found out I had CM1. I went to the ENT and thought I might have had Minieres disease, my grandmother had it. Also I was dizzy. I had an MRi to check for neuromas and they found the chiari 1. My Neurologis doesnt seem to think I have a syrnx because I don't complain of certain symptoms. But I just had a cervical MRi today. It was like pulling teeth to get it, but as far as I know, I don't have one. But who knows. I don't have any numbness in my extremities, but I do get the wooshing. Not like a few months ago. It has, knock on wood, stopped.

I get short term memory loss, which might sound weird, when I am sympomatic. If my symptoms are acting up, I find my thinking is slower and I can't remember where I parked my car when I leave work or come out of the store.lol :lol: Otherwise, I'm o.k. I also slurr my speach occasionally when I'm symptomatic. I know, odd.

smiles and blessings to you
dizzy2

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders