Update on Kara - Ketch16's daughter

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Update on Kara - Ketch16's daughter

Postby Ryzing » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:41 am

Hi all,

I received an e-mail from Kara's mom, Sherri, this morning - and I wanted to share this post from Kara's website regarding her recent MRI results in hopes that you all will continue to pray for her. This is her website: http://www.caringbridge.org/oh/kara

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:31 AM CDT

We heard back from Dr. Frim with Kara's MRI results. Kara's tethering at her brain stem is certainly no better than the last MRI in Jan. It is bad and it is a rare condition and now her spinal cord does not move when she flexes. He said that if Kara's symptoms are worsening then he would presume that the tethering is worsening functionally and that the symptoms will not go away on their own, unfortunately. This is a very painful condition that causes bad head and neck pain, so he wants her to be careful not to do things with too much neck movement, but to go ahead and do what she can tolerate.

Dr. Frim did offer surgery, but it would take most of the day to do. There are also complications to think about with this type of surgery, as there have not been alot performed. Also, there is no guarantee that her symptoms would be alleviated, plus re-tethering can occur again. But, then again, if you have a tethered spinal cord it can become stretched over time and could cause neurological symptoms and for Kara that would be in the upper part of her body since Kara's tethering is aquired and is at the brain stem and not the bottom of her spinal cord.

This is alot to think about and there are some days that it is very hard to deal with, especially for Kara. Like always, we continue to pray and look to the Lord for guidance, comfort and strength. Also, we are very thankful for our friends and family who continue to be there for us and who offer a listening ear. It helps so much to have that support! We deeply appreciate it.

Sherri & David

Thank you,

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Kara

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:58 pm

yes we know about her and she has been thru alot . As so many others have too. Prayers for Kara . She is a beautiful young lady .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby SMLady » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 am

Thanks for the update!
SMLady

Postby dizzy2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 pm

My prayers are with you Kara.

Lidia
dizzy2

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders