Does this sound like chiari? helpp

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Does this sound like chiari? helpp

Postby Leonna20x » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Hiya all,
This post isnt about me,its about my mum.

For years now she has had a bad neck and frequent headaches...But a few years ago her neck has started to get really bad,so bad she can hardly turn it,she gets 'attacks' of it,which last for days where her neck is stiff,she has a dizzy odd feeling,her head feels funny etc etc...she just isnt well when this all happens.
does this sound like chiari? she has many other symptoms also.

Im not sure if it runs in familys,and if this does sound like chiari,if she went to the doctor and said what she thinks it is,they will probley think we are a mad family as i have just been diagnoised with a chiari 1 malformation.

Any advice??

She is 48
Thank you xx
Leonna20x

Postby Leonna20x » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:29 pm

i guess i should tell you her other symptoms lol durh..

Fatigue,Visual disturbances ,memory loss,back pain * She had an operation on her back around 10years ago,so not sure if its just her bad back which is causing it* , Pain & tension along ear / jawline , Hand tremors , cold hands & feet , Difficulty reading / focusing on text ,excessive thirst.

thanks x
Leonna20x

Postby Gracie Rose » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi,

Maybe checking some symptom lists would be helpful. There is one on www.chiarione.org and one on www.conquerchiari.org.

Those symptoms do sound all too familiar but can only be verified by MRI. If they think your nuts and it's all in your/her head they'd be right :lol: . You'd be in our special club if some Dr. or neurosurgeon said you were nuts!! We've all heard at one time or another.

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby dizzy2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:56 pm

Lisa you are so right when you say Dr's think it's all in your head. My NL told me my symptoms are not from CM and to take 2 Xanax a day and call him in 2 weeks. :lol:

As for symptoms, before I was dx with chiari I had the dizzyness, kind of a rocking back and forth in my head feeling, weird. Also, ringing and wooshing in my ears, I thought I had Minieres disease because of that. Then the tiredness, memory loss, back and neck pain. Neck stiffness. All sorts of weird stuff at once. My ENT sent me for an MRi and I found out I had a 7mm herniation. A lot of the symptoms went away, they just come back periodically. Just really weird. If possible, your mom should really see a NL. If you can find one that is familiar with chiari and will do an MRi to check for it would be great.

Let us know how her probress is.

Blessings,
Lidia
dizzy2

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders