Knee Right leg about to go out? What do yall think?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Knee Right leg about to go out? What do yall think?

Postby ITguy22 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:01 pm

The last two weeks my right leg especially around the knee and behind have been extruciating. So much I have been dragging and limping. I know its nerve damage just by all the sensations, I have become an expert. Has anyone had this problem before? What did you do? or How long before you were using a cane to walk with?

I am 24 years old and I am absolutely positive that my SM is getting worse because of the frequency of pain and loss of ability. I just dont know what to do if I cant walk on just one leg.

Any suggestions? Please!
ITguy22

Postby kittb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:33 pm

My knees have been giving me problems for many years. I finally admitted I needed to use a cane five years ago, and two years ago I began having to use a walker. I had thought my weak knees to be due to sports injuries in the early nineties, but after surgeries they continued to get worse. It wasn't until I found out more about SM that I even considered another possibility. Even now, I don't know for sure, but I've been collapsing in stores and crossing the street for decades now. I was about 18 or 19 when it started going downhill. I don't know if this helps, but you're not alone!
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm

Yep. I have the same problem. A few days ago, my left knee just refused to function. My left foot was turning in, and it was very difficult getting around. I almost got out the wheelchair but didn't have to. About an hour after my 2nd Methocarbam 750 mg. dose, it started loosening up.

No, you're not alone. My golden retreiver is a big help during these times but it sure is frustrating!

Hope you feel better.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm 22 and I have had some weird knee problems off and on, but not lately. When it happens, it feels like my knee is going to collapse or cave in and the area around it (incl. the quadriceps) feels strangely weak. Sometimes my legs bother me for a while around the time a knee acts up, like my calves will cramp or my legs will be spastic.
Cyborg Ninja

Postby hartagold23 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:09 pm

My knee (left) was doing that about a year ago and then the muscle that allows you to lift your leg at the knee became paralyzed (about 2 weeks later). I finally had tethered cord surgery about 5 weeks ago and now my leg is not paralyzed anymore. Could have been from either TC or SM or both...we're not sure...but my syrinx did drain a lot with this surgery. Many good things are coming from this surgery. Glad I did it. Hope you find a solution to your knee problem. I can't remember if you have TC or not, but that could be causing your knee problems, too, besides SM.

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:02 am

I've had that and have it again. I tore the meniscus once on my left knee and twice on my right. It's my right knee again. I feel sure they are going to find EDS when I make it to TCI because I did this just walking. It hurts under the knee cap but most of the pain and swelling is behind my knee on the back side. Ice and heat help it some and keeping it elevated helps as well. When it really gets going my leg swells from the knee down. Not sure if this is what your problem is but it's something to keep in mind. It's very easy to tear if you have joint problems.

I had surgery to repair the left and the right twice. Not going to do anything until I see the guys at TCI this time. :) I was awake for the surguries. Very cool seeing the surgery. :) It is an outpatient surgery and they can put you under or give you some happy juice. It takes about 45 minutes to do. I don't stay under when they put me to sleep so I chose to stay away and just let them numb the area.

Hope you are feeling better. {{{HUGS}}}
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders