reading problems?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

reading problems?

Postby nmf618 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:39 pm

hi I have cm and sm and have had decompression surgery 3 years ago now..Lately (say the last 3-4weeks) I Have been noticing that when I am reading I am mixing up letters and not reading correctly. It seems to take me a lot longer to read and understand what is going on. Just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem? Is it another side effect? Any answers would be great
nmf618

Postby Fraggle Nan » Sat May 19, 2007 8:00 am

Hi,

I thought I was alone in this one. I haven't heard anyone talk about this. I noticed this a few months ago. I really don't read. I skim the paper, skim articles, look at pictures. If I have to read -I don't comprehend what I am reading, then have to start over.

We put our wills together last month, the attorney sent us copies to proof read, I couldn't do it. Finally, I told my husband what was going on.

It takes alot of concentration and effort to stay on task. I notice this, too, when I am watching tv. I get lost in the conversations or something, then have no idea what is going on. I feel like I am just looking at the tv.

Well, I hope this passes and we just snap back to normal. I miss reading my Bible.
Fraggle Nan

reading problems

Postby christinewebb » Sat May 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Yeah! Its not just me!!!! lol

I find I have the hardest time reading things after I take my meds. My eyes get all blurry and fuzzy and they feel like I have big bags under them. Reading a book is out of the question - its enough for me to read the postings sometimes.

Thanks for posting this!
Christine in LV NV; Do not fear, you are blessed beyond your imagination...

Car accident Oct 05 -DX Jan 07 SM T1-T6; back surgery 06 2 plates & 8 screws; 3 kids and a dh that suffer along side of me each day
christinewebb

Postby Sandy » Sun May 20, 2007 10:33 am

Hi!

Yep. Sometimes words don't read right even looking a 2nd or 3rd time. A friend told me she was participating in a study in her blood sugars and had to watch her "carbs" but for the life of me it read "crabs" until I just closed it out and read it later.

Usually when my brain is tired. Reading a book is impossible. Used to enjoy doing that, too, but now short articles in magazines are a nice substitute.

Wishing all a pain free day,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby petsmom » Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 pm

That is why we encourage members to break up a long post in short paragraphs to read and digest easier.

Many of us have the same problems with typos, invert letters a lot, etc.

These are cognitive issues. Chronic pain can exacerbate these issues. I had a neuropsyche eval done a few years back to diagnose "short term memory" problems ( wanted it for SS). IQ is still fine. But testing verified and documented what I kinda knew. What you are describing is a "processing" glitch. Taking in info and hoping it actually is processed and digested for later recovery. My old memory (prior to taking ill) is great, especially in areas of art/music/animal care. It was found I do not take in "new" information as should/ nothing to forget cause it never happened to begin with type glitch.

I can watch a really good movie! Months later I will swear never saw before. Takes a long time to remember the folks on here and things about them. I care but my mind just takes longer to retain facts.

If really gets to be a problem consider a referral to a neuropsyche for a eval. Very enlightening. And a source of info for other docs, SSDI, yourself and how to compensate for the glitches. Takes a few hours for complete testing. Mine revealed a severe left hand motor skills problem also. The docs had been dismissing it all along but the testing proved I was right.

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Postby Snoozie » Fri May 25, 2007 11:56 pm

I have problems with reading with both eyes at the same time. Sometimes I will have to shut one eye and it helps.

I saw the eye doc and he said I have the beginnings of macular degeneration so I have started taking Occuvite, a vitamin mix made for the eyes.

I have to proofread my posts a couple of times because I mix letters up so bad. Probably miss a few here and there ...Sue
Snoozie

Reading Problems

Postby akbrowneyes » Sat May 26, 2007 2:29 am

I have had problems reading over the last few months because of verticle double vision, wheich they believe is associated with SM. The eye doctor wants me to come back after my next surgery.
akbrowneyes

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders