What happens when you don't limit sun exposure as med says?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

What happens when you don't limit sun exposure as med says?

Postby mrsariel » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:35 pm

As some of you know I am on Diamox and it said to avoid the sun. I figured it might be because you are more apt to burn?

Now I am wondering if a small amount can make you feel sick?

We have a pool. I am not out there that long and I am not swimming laps or anything, just staying cool. (and yes I have sun screen and wear sun glasses out there. *g*)

I dont know if its since they switched me to Diamox Sequels.

Any ideas?
Lisa
CM 7mm diagnosed 12/06.
Tethered Cord diagnosed 10/07 @ TCI
TC surgery 5/13/08
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisas
mrsariel

Postby cash71 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Lisa,

As you know I am on Diamox too. About a month ago I took my youngest daughter to a birthday party in the park. It was a hot sunny day and we were there for about 3 hours. I didn't have a hat and I kinda forgot about the sun exposure aspect of Diamox. Well by the end of the party I wasn't sure I was going to make it home. I felt "drunk", dizzy, woozy, nauseated and just really weird. Its almost hard to explain but it was extremely unpleasant. Now I can recognize this feeling coming on and most of the time now I stick to the shade. My parents have a pool and I go swimming and then back into the shade when I am done.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

sunlight

Postby razzle51 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:06 am

I was on a med once that said that and it made me nauseated too.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Tidbit » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37 am

The main reason for this warning is that these drugs are phototoxic, meaning they have a chemical reaction with the sun and can give you a severe sunburn very quickly. Sometimes it doesn't happen the first day of sun exposure, tricking you into thinking it's okay. But then, unsuspectingly, you are a blistered tomato! So lots of sunscreen on all exposed areas, even if you think you won't be in the sun for that long.
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy and duraplasty May 2005. Syringosubarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. From Ontario, Canada.
Tidbit

Postby CrazyCat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:27 am

I am on another med but it has the warning about sun exposure as well. I was sitting outside on the deck. Never thought anything about just sitting there in the sun but I did pay for it. I was outside about 45 minutes and I got sun poisioning. I never use to burn like that and could stay outside all day and just tan.So now if I am on the deck I make sure the umbrella is up and I am in the shade.
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Postby mrsariel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Thanks for writing back!

Figures its another thing I have to watch. After a week on the Diamox Sequels I went back to the regular Diamox. I didn't see anything positive on the sequels. My dh mentioned that it seemed like my stomach was upset more and there were no improvements with the headaches.

I am going on a whale watch tomorrow. Now I am paranoid about being outside. I will wear my hat and sun glasses and of course have sunscreen on.
CM 7mm diagnosed 12/06.
Tethered Cord diagnosed 10/07 @ TCI
TC surgery 5/13/08
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisas
mrsariel

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders