SM due to whiplash trauma

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

SM due to whiplash trauma

Postby socialdkitty » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Just wondered if anyone (besides Kathy) has acquired SM through an accident or more specifically whiplash? If so, has it progressed? What are your symptoms? Size of syrinx? Thanks!
socialdkitty

Postby cash71 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 pm

The ten thousand dollar question! Alot of my symptoms started 13 years ago after a bad car accident and whiplash injury. I went to a NL at the time as I had neck pain, occipital HA, numbness and tingling down my right arm and sweating on the right side of my forehead. My concerns were dismissed and I was told it was just a soft tissue injury. I have had these symptoms on and off since then but fairly managable.

It wasn't until 2 years ago when I turned funny in bed to look at my alarm clock and felt and heard a snap in my upper back that all my symptoms really took off. The back pain was so bad after that incident that I fainted and I have been mostly off work ever since. Ever time I try and return the back pain ramps back up to un managable levels.

I have had many traumas to my head and neck though. What can I say, I had a fun childhood. I've fallen off a horse probably 20 times, crashed my dirt bike breaking my nose, slipped and fell head first into a huge tree and had 2 car accidents, so who knows which incident or combination started the syrinx. My syrinx is C3 to T9. I only just discovered it in January so I don't know how it has grown. I've only had the one MRI.

Don't know if this helps at all but that is my story :D

bye for now,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby socialdkitty » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 pm

thanks Caroline... i started having burning neck pain and burning pain through my shoulders/back right after an accident but my occipital headaches and pins and needles didn't start until recently, 10 years later. its all still such a mystery to me...
i have an appointment with another local NS at the end of the month but im beginning to think my only option in the world is TCI, I just have not been able to figure out how it works in regards to insurance and no doctor will refer me because all NL's think they are right and I dont need another opinion.. and no extra money to get to TCI. *sigh*
socialdkitty

Postby WeeLassie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:29 pm

I have both CM and SM but that does not necessarily mean the syrinx came from the Chiari. I have had a few different kinds of head and/or neck trauma through the years which could have caused the syrinx. I think it is easier for the docs to say the syrinx comes from the Chiari when they really can't say for sure. :)
WeeLassie

Postby littleleo80 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:22 pm

I have PTSM. I was In a auto accident on 10/13/03 (engraved in brain) after had alot of back pain, was pretty beat up and bruised but no breaks. Over the last few years pain has increased, headaches, tingling, weakness, bladder spasms, Horrible back spasms, shooting pains all over etc. those are the main ones. They cont'd to tell me soft tissue damage, scar tissue etc. things kept getting worse they finally gave me an MRI, On May 9th this year. Then found out the scary news! Still not used to it, I keep hopeing they will check again and it will be gone. A relief in some ways just to say see drs there was something it wasnt just me!
T10-T12
littleleo80

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders