Happy with PT

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Happy with PT

Postby hoz74 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 am

I started Physical Therapy yesterday for the super tight muscles in my neck and I took a leaflet about CM in with me and the Chiari do's and dont's so the Therapist wouldn't look at me like I am a hypochondriac or making this stuff up, I always take these papers along when I am going to a new doctor, therapist or radiologist. Anyway, when I went back today, she really had impressed me. She looked CM up in her spare time and even got on TCI website and watched the videos. She seemed like she did quite a lot of studying in her spare time last night and changed my whole plan of therapy on me to not so rigorous of a plan, just gentle stretches and massages. Its such a relief to have someone care enough to look this stuff up in their spare time and learn about it. I was impressed, hopefully it will make a difference with my stubborn muscles.
Luv Hoz
ACM decompression surgery sept 06
Lord Keep your arm around my shoulders
and your hand over my mouth
hoz74

Postby cash71 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 am

That is great Hoz. A good PT is invaluable. I know as I have a really good one too. She even phones to check on me every few weeks and I haven't been to see her for a few months!

I did go thru a few before finding her. The other two were just too aggressive and rough. Gentle is the key with cm/sm. If it hurts don't do it! It's like the opposite of what everyone is told with exercise. With our disorder doing something to the point of hurting is not an option.

I'm really happy for you. She sounds like a keeper!

8) Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby Ryzing » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 pm

Holly,

I'm so glad to hear this! Where are you going - Advanced Health?

You and Caroline are very lucky to have found therapists who took the extra time to do some research on your condition - all to give you better service.

Thanks for sharing... :D

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

pt

Postby hoz74 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:26 pm

I am going to bellevue hospital, that is where my NL ordered it from, I am just so lucky I found a therapist willing to learn something new. She was more worried about hurting me than anything. I am stiff but not sore. She gave me some gentle stretches to do at home and my problem is I have to remember good posture. I am just excited to get this moving along and hoping to loosen some of these muscles up some and wanting some relief at least in my neck. One body part at a time :wink: She is hoping it will help ease the headaches a little too with how tight the neck is. One can hope anyway.
Hoz
hoz74

PT

Postby littleleo80 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:47 pm

I am starting PT on the 2nd of Aug. , I had seen a pt before my diagnosis with SM, it was Horrible they really made me hurt (Had to build muscles to strengthen back) now to find out it probably just made things worse... So I am kind of nervous! What type of things can I expect from a Pt that is gentle? What things do they have you do? Thank You Everyone @ ASAP I would be lost with out everyones advice. I have learned more from this forum, then any dr. or website. Everything is real! :D
littleleo80

what to do

Postby hoz74 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:58 am

I got on this and other chiari web sites and actually printed out the leaflet with the definition and the do's and dont's for a chiari person. I think I got lucky with my therapist, she was just so eager to learn about it. But your therapist should be concerned and if they have problems maybe they could ask your doctor, if you have had surgery then they should talk to your surgeon for sure. Hope this helps some, please do not let them do anything that could worsen your condition, you have to live inside your body not them and if it hurts you and aggrivates or worsens your cm or sm then please do not let them continue.
Hoz
hoz74

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders