Hypothyroidism?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Hypothyroidism?

Postby JeanneMarie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:33 pm

Hey, all!

When I went to my pain clinic for a stallate ganglion nerve block a few weeks ago, I had my bead tilted backward for 20 minutes, and my doc asked me if I had a goiter or any hypothyroid symptoms (weight gain, tiredness, etc.) Well, the chronic pain and meds leave me a bit pooped, but I excersize regularly and watch the diet, and my meds don't really CAUSE overeating or weight gain, so I'm OK on the symptoms. Still, he sent me in for a blood test today. My sister has it, but I don't think it's prevalent with SM or CM.

Anyone else have it? I was told I'd be put on a hormone-regulating drug that didn't interfere with my meds if the test were positive. I hear back Friday 7 /20.

Thanks,

Jeanne
JeanneMarie

Postby Lia » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Jean, I was just dignosed and don'tknow if it has anything to with it or not but I have been hypo for over 20yr.

lia
Lia

Postby Debster » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:08 am

When I was going through puberty, my family noticed I appeared to have a large lump in the front of my neck.....sure enough it was a goiter. They gave me radioactive iodine to do a test on me.....these days that would be a no no for a 12 year old girl.

I was put on thyroid meds throughout puberty until my thyroid tested in the normal range. After having my first child at age 30, I began severely depressed. Not the kind of depression that can be treated with medication. After trying different meds they finally realized I might have thyroid issues, and therefore ran a blood test. Sure enough. Instead of being hyperthyroid like when I was younger, I was dx'd as hypothyroid.

They say the radioactive iodine killed my throid and I will be on supplements for the rest of my life. God only knows how long that will be. I feel like I am marked for elimination after being dx'd with ACM in February. Seems like I have one medical problem after another, and overall feel crappy every single day. I wish I could turn the clock back 30 years or so, back to a time when life seemed good. Gee...maybe the Prozac would be good about now...

Deb
Debster

Postby Lia » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:02 am

I feel like I am marked for elimination after being dx'd with ACM in February.

Sry, i had to laugh a bit. I also feel like my days are numbered. I am 56yr. pretty healthy most of my life, but gee at 50 its all been down hill.
When they gave me the dx of CM etc. that put the icing on the cake.

I also have been taking synthyroid for many years. I allready know my body and know when the meds have to be adjusted. I guess the little pill became a part of my life, just as this new dx. will, because i can't take it away.

I just pray that it slow down and does not do any more damage to my body. I am greatfull that i have been able to enjoy my family, grandchildren, etc. for 56yr.

So lets all raise our hand up as far as we can an thank god for a new day. Because we will be here with or with pain until he decides.

Hugs to you. Lia
Lia

hypothyroid

Postby razzle51 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:28 am

I have it and taking Synthroid . Have had it for years . But in my case the symtoms are dry skin , hair falling out , tired , and weight lose. I had taken a poll a fews years back about how many people on the board suffer with it and the number was alot .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Yup

Postby Amison82 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 am

I don't know if it is related to the SM or the fact that I am also a diabetic but I have an underactive thyroid problem and have been taking levothyroxin for about 2 years now. I was sooo tired and I gained about 20lbs in a month (even though I was not eating any differently and I had actually been exercising more than usual). It has helped a bit and now I am down about 30lbs...(it was impossible to lose the weight before)
Amison82

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders