Cymbalta/experience????

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cymbalta/experience????

Postby junqdawg » Sun May 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Folks.. Whats up with this site? had to reregister and go thru all that stuff to get back on after it was down for all that time???????I hope they got it fixed and still don't understand why you gotta do all that "stuff" to get on here. Anyway I want to say hi to everyone. Have had problems lately and haven't felt like inacting with anyone. But i have been prescribed cymbalta 30mg 2 capsules a day and told to work up to 4 per day.. Has anyone got experience with this drug and what are the "plus's" and what are the side effects... any help appreciated.. Take care folks .. I am gonna get back to visiting ya'll real soon... Sincerely Junqdawg
junqdawg

Postby mac » Sun May 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi, Willie, good to "see" you here again. eVeryone had to re register to get back on the site, it was a Yahoo group thing and not an asap thing, I was told.

Cymbalta, I've been on it over 2 years. I think it's a great drug. It's quite expensive but I get it free through Work Comp. Cymbalta really helps to keep the depression at bay, yet it allows you to feel normal emotions. I do get teary easily still, but I don't go into a long, deep depression at all.

So, that's the plus, the only down side was perhaps weight gain, but I'm told by all my docs that Cymbalta is not the cause of my weight gain but just that metabolism has slowed down due to less activity.

Cymbalta also works for neuropathic pain. It is rx'd for diabetic patients. So, I would think it is helping me with that, although I have more and more neuropathy! I'd hate to see what I'd have if I quit the Cymb.

I recently saw an "agreed upon medical examiner" psychologist and he told me I should stay on Cymb. rest of my life. My own therapist told me the same thing. So, I say it's a good drug.

hope this helps, and I hope it helps you. Oh, I'm on 60 mg 1x per day, at night. Let me know how it works for you.

hugs
mac
mac

Postby unicorns » Sun May 20, 2007 7:14 pm

I tried cymbalta - but had to discontinue it almost immediately as it made me very sick to my stomach. I hope you have better luck!!
Barbara
unicorns

Cymbalta

Postby razzle51 » Mon May 21, 2007 4:26 am

I was given it and had a terrible reaction. Heart racing , Shakes , stomach ache, etc etc .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby svennobalance » Mon May 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Cymbalta saved me! It reduced a lot of nerve pain - that "cape-like" tightness eased up significantly. I take 60mg a day. If it gives you mood-swings - you should let your doc know - s/he can prescribe something to go along with it. I take Lamictal to help w/mood problems from the Cymbalta. (I am also bi-polar and very sensitive to anti-depressants).
Gabriel
chiari, decompressed dec 05, syrinx, hydro, baclofen pump October 2007, rev jan '08, VP shunt April 2009
svennobalance

cymbalta

Postby Sara » Tue May 22, 2007 9:57 am

My daughter had some serious memory problems while taking it and we had to discontinue it. But it is suppose to have good success with pain.
Sara
Holly's mom
Sara
Site Admin

Cymbalta Experience

Postby 4evrblnd » Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 am

Hi all,
Am back onboard, after feeling better, wanting to talk to "people" like me! Have been on Cymbalta since its' release in 2003, works great for me. Was at 60 mg. for three years, helps with neuropathic pain in addition to anxiety/depression. Had a backslide Dec 06, Dr. added 30 mg. Have done well on dosage, but last visit to Dr., was told of warning issued by mfgr. re: usage by patients with liver damage. Am now being monitored every three mos. with liver function tests, had/have Hep C.Guess every "great" medication has its price!

Could you seek help from the drug manafacturer-- most have low income assistance, and seems you would qualify, if you are in the donut hole! Was there a year ago, due to cost of Hep C. treatment. Worth checking out.
Kathleen J.
4evrblnd

Postby sylvester » Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 pm

I've been on Cymbalta for almost 5 months. I was on Paxil for a year and a half before that and hated it. Emotionally I was just "flat" couldn't laugh, couldn't cry, couldn't feel anything at all. Except pain. Finally fired my PCP and found another who understood what I was talking about and changed me to Cymbalta. I feel better emotionally, AND it has reduced my pain level -- at least most of the time. I started on 30 mg, while I weaned off the Paxil, then went to 60 mg. Two weeks ago I went up to 90 mg. As far as side effects go, either I'm not having any, or I'm taking so many different things that all have the same side effects that I can't tell which is which.
The one that bothers me most is an almost overwhelming fatigue -- but is it from the Cymbalta? or Topomax? or Tegretol? or, or, or,... maybe just that nasty creature, SM?

Anne
SM t6-t12, scoliosis, ddd
sylvester

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders