Muscle Spasms?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Muscle Spasms?

Postby dizzy2 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:16 pm

I started experiencing a new sx. I started getting little spasms in my diaphragm area. Sometimes it goes all the way aroung my ribs to my back. Has anyone experienced anything like this. My nl says it has nothing to to with my cm. It sometimes gets so tight that it takes my breath away. Like when I talk it is difficult to finish a sentence without taking a breath to finish my sentence. Sometimes it is really tiny like, for all you moms out there who remember when your are in your third trimester of pregnancy and your little baby's elbow or foot runs across your belly. For all you men out there, if you experience the spasm, that's what it feels like to have a little one in your belly. lol :lol:

Anyway, if anyone is experiencing any of this please let me know. My nl says I am stressing myself and to take xanax 2 x a day. Like I really want to sleep for the next two weeks until I see him again. He thinks it will just go away after I drug myself up. I don't think so. :x

Well, any way, any help on this would be great.

Thanks,
Lidia
dizzy2

Postby hartagold23 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi,

I have just TCS and SM, but I get strange spasms on the left side of my tummy, below my ribs. It feels like my stomach pulls in over there, stays for a few seconds, then releases. Very weird. Drives me nuts when I'm trying to get to sleep. I tried Baclofen for the spasms there and in my legs, but the med made me sick. I'll be having TC surgery in a few days, so I'm not going to worry about the spasms for now. Just thought I'd share my weird spasm story...

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby Moemkate » Sun May 20, 2007 10:40 pm

I was decompressed Nov 7th and never had the problem till after surgery but it usually happens when I'm sitting relaxed. Just my left side is affected right below my ribs. I told my neuro at my 6 month appointment about it. I told her it felt like when you feel the baby kicking around early on in pregnancy. She just gave me a mmm expression and typed it into my report. Kay.
Moemkate

Postby unicorns » Mon May 21, 2007 10:17 am

I don't have muscle spasms - but I do have pain along the bottom of my ribcage (on the right side only).
Barbara
unicorns

Postby Debbieducati » Mon May 21, 2007 1:31 pm

Before I was diag. I used to get them all the time. It felt like a really tight band across my diaphram area, and yes it was hard to take a full breath. I have found stretching my upper back with a yoga ball. I have also found traction to help releive the pressure. I do not get them as much as I used to now that I do this twice a week. Make sure you check with your doctor first before you try this. Good luck.

Love to all Debbieducati

SM c5-7
Debbieducati

Postby dizzy2 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:47 pm

So weird these spasms. They are subtle sometimes and real tight others. I guess they are unexplainable. Maybe it's a nuerological thing. Who knows with this condition. It's all a mystery. I just can't wait to see a dr. who knows about cm who maybe can answer more than what a regular nl knows. Because no matter what I say to him, he just says it has nothing to do with cm. Well, I'll keep you posted when I find something out from him.

Blessings to all

Lidia
dizzy2

Postby svennobalance » Mon May 21, 2007 4:20 pm

Do you have sm? I blame my spasming on the syrinx. It is mostly right-sided and when the ab muscles get bad I walk with a lurch.

I take zanaflex and valium when it gets real bad. [/i]
Gabriel
chiari, decompressed dec 05, syrinx, hydro, baclofen pump October 2007, rev jan '08, VP shunt April 2009
svennobalance

Postby dizzy2 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 pm

I was dx'd with cm1. I don't know if I hava a syrnx, my nl seems to think I don't because I don't have any pain or numbness. But I am waiting for a cervical mri to determine it. Hopefully I don't. But soon I will find out. I don't get doubled over but it is very uncomfortable. It is on my left side mostly, sometimes in the middle. I try to take 1/2 a xanax being my nl told me it is stress and caused by stress not by what I have. I don't believe that but I am trying to just get rid of them.

Lidia
dizzy2

Postby petsmom » Wed May 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Lidia you described the "gut" spasms exactly like I have. I only have a thoracic syrinx which would effect the mid body area like you describe. Yep, been times I swore I was back being about 8 months preggie. Lots of pressure right up under the "girls" and almost like mild contractions but up high. Most doesn't really hurt, just uncomfortable and hard to take a real breath. Bothersome.

But of course a male doctor would not be able to relate or understand the explanation. Reminds me of those last weeks before the baby drops down. Real tiring too!!?? My ribs are real sensitive to touch at times also. Like touching a raw area of skin.

Do Not be put off or have your symptoms belittled. Tell him where to stick his anxiety and stress. Let him know at least one of "mom" understood perfectly what you described and it is REAL. Not imagined.

There are a lot of us with thoracic syrinx so you might want to push for a thoracic MRI. I had to raise a fuss to get one done in '04 and there it was, my not so imaginary problem!!

Dawn
I am not my disorder. It does not define me as a Person.
DDD, SM thoracic
petsmom

Postby dizzy2 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:10 pm

If you have a syrnx is there usually a tender spot where it is? Because that's what I've heard. I have no tender spots anywhere in my body. My diaphragm area tightness has stopped. I do get some rolling feelings sometimes lateley. But I do feel sometimes that I am recovering from a fall to my stomach. Like when you fall off a bike as a kid and you've lost your breath. But I don't lose my breath it just feels like I've fallen and there's just a feeling of that. Am I explaining myself correctly. Some sx are so hard to explain, ya know? So if I have this feeling is it more than likely I have a syrnx or it is hard to say?

Thanks,
Lidia
dizzy2

radical spasms

Postby prism » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Oh man, I have had some radical spasms today. I can't piece together why for sure either. (I'd like to avoid those things that cause them) These were unlike any other I've had before. They were following some cold laser treatment and a bumpy car ride, but previous to that I had one of those- efforts to take a bath that precipitated the total body malfunction, nearly fainting and had a harder time walking, keeping balance too. They started in my upper back, radiating in the arm and chest, first one side then after that relaxed when I started to move around again, the left side. Screaming pain. Just needed to say it to someone who might understand. :? Being bizarre certainly gets old.
prism
prism

Postby dizzy2 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:38 am

What were you dx'd with? Do you have a syrnx? Those spasms sound so painful. Mine are not painful just uncomfortable. It's always in my diaphragm area and is a tightness or a rolling feeling. I know what you mean about being odd is getting old. I feel so normal and then when these symptoms come about it's so weird.

I hope your symptoms ease up and you don't get them anymore. Or at least not so painful.

Blessings to you,

Lidia
dizzy2

spasms

Postby prism » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Lidia,

I haven't had the testing yet to find out for sure about syrinx. HopEfully, my insurance will be convinced the tests are worthwhile to cover me on
:? never can tell.
You mentioned having trouble breathing and I thought I'd comment-- I find that if I breathe too deeply I am unable to continue breathing for too long a time. It's frustrating because theoretically, deep breathing should be good for you, you know? I easily start to feel like I'm close to passing out and can't function. Resting helps.
Overall, Neurontin and Ativan help with the over all spasming. And too much activity or cold can aggrivate the tendency.

nice to "meet" you, prism
prism

spasms

Postby prism » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:05 am

Hi Lidia,

I haven't had the testing yet to find out for sure about syrinx. HopEfully, my insurance will be convinced the tests are worthwhile to cover me on
:? never can tell.
You mentioned having trouble breathing and I thought I'd comment-- I find that if I breathe too deeply I am unable to continue breathing for too long a time. It's frustrating because theoretically, deep breathing should be good for you, you know? I easily start to feel like I'm close to passing out and can't function. Resting helps.
Overall, Neurontin and Ativan help with the over all spasming. And too much activity or cold can aggrivate the tendency.

nice to "meet" you, prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders