MRI results and follow-up ... made it through another year!

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

MRI results and follow-up ... made it through another year!

Postby brianfsmom » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:30 am

Hi all

Just thought I would post good news. I know it feels good to read, and it certainly feels good to type.

Brian had his MRI (cervical and thoracic spine) on Tuesday and follow up with the neurologist today. Thankfully I did not see the report or the films, and for once didn't freak myself out.

And I would have, because the radiologist apparently read the scans as having "crowding" of the tonsils. The neurologist, however, says he disagrees and showed us the fluid in the spaces. Has anyone had this happen? I wish we could just bypass the radiologist. The doctors always read the films themselves anyway. There was no change in this area from last year.

There are two unchanged syrinxes since last year: one insigificant one (it's a line) in the cervical spine and one uglier one in the mid-thoracic. This one is greatly improved since surgery, but I wish it would go away.

The best news is the third syrinx: it actually got a little smaller since last year! To me, if any part of the syrinx is shrinking, that has to indicate that there's still good flow of CSF.

Anyway, there it is. With all these things, it's amazing that it would be considered good news, but to us, it is. I always dread the MRIs, and the ensuing visit to the doctor!

It's now been 2 1/2 years since Brian's decompression surgery. We are so grateful that he's done well and pray that it will continue!
brianfsmom

Postby angie7 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:18 pm

YAYAYAYAYYYYY!!! Glad to hear that he has had no changes! It is always nice to hear good news. Now take him out and give him some ice cream and pizza :lol:

It does sound weird to say that we are happy to hear "no change" but none is better then some in the wrong direction!
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby pearland1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:34 am

Thank you for sharing some positive news!
I agree with you, that if any part of the syrinx is shrinking it must mean better flow.
I'm happy for your family! I know you want to celebrate the success!
pearland1

Return to Pediatrics