Blinking Like Crazy

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Blinking Like Crazy

Postby TiredMom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Okay. Preston has started this really rapid blinking thing. It's all day long. I don't have a clue which doctor to mention it to. Could it be a weird side effect of the migraine meds he's taking for the chiari headache (he's only taking periactin - 4 mg two times daily)? Could it be a tic thing? Is it a pinched nerve? Is this stim behavior? (he is an Aperger's kiddo) He says his vision is normal, his eyes aren't dry, aren't itchy and don't hurt, he's not complaining about the lights anymore than usual (and he's wearing his tinted Irlen lenses a lot so that shouldn't be an issue)

He's not scheduled to either the NL or the NSG again until January. We have a meeting with his developmental pedi in September. I'm thinking she might be the best person to mention it to. Mentioning anything to his regular pedi that doesn't involve a cough, sore throat/ear, fever or rash is a lost cause.

Thoughts?
Mom of 9 yo boy with Chiari I, Pineal Cyst, Microdup. Synd. 15q, Mito. Disorder, Ctrll. Sleep Apnea/Sleep Mvmt. Disorder, Asperger's, Hypotonia, Aphasia, GAD, OCD, occipital headaches, etc. Visit at http://caringbridge.org/visit/prestonbyrne
TiredMom

Re: Blinking Like Crazy

Postby TiredMom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Holy cow! Nothing like posting the same thing 3 times! I wonder how I did that???
Mom of 9 yo boy with Chiari I, Pineal Cyst, Microdup. Synd. 15q, Mito. Disorder, Ctrll. Sleep Apnea/Sleep Mvmt. Disorder, Asperger's, Hypotonia, Aphasia, GAD, OCD, occipital headaches, etc. Visit at http://caringbridge.org/visit/prestonbyrne
TiredMom

Postby jupes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 am

Hello!

Sorry, no ideas on what could be causing the blinking. Does he have an other eye complaints like blurred vision or pain ect? Hope you find answers!

Good luck!

Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Postby brianfsmom » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 am

Hi

My daughter did that blinking thing for a while when she was in second grade. As far as I know she has no chiari, certainly she has no symptoms. The blinking was a transient tic. She didn't have any other issues aside from maybe just some stress on the school bus at that time. I took her to an eye doctor and we had an appointment with a neurologist but the blinking was better by the time that rolled around, so we never went.

I think the best thing you can do for now, after ruling out medical causes or course, is to ignore it, which as I well know is easier said than done. It could just be some sort of brain development issue that will resove itself when they right connections work their way out.

Good luck!! It makes the corners of my own eyes tingle just to remember those days!

Edit: she's going into 11th grade next week, so just to let you know that it really did go away on its own!
brianfsmom

Postby Beverley » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Mention it to the NL.

Since he just started taking the pain medication it could very well be that causing the blinking. If it doesn't go away you may need to lower the medication to see if that is the cause. Many of these meds come with many possible neurological side affects. This falls under the uncontrolled or excess movement list.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby TiredMom » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

We reduced the Periactin to 4 mg/ day (with NL approval - begrudgingly). The blinking is GONE! and so are all the other weird issues (behavioral problems, massive irritability, aggression). All gone! Hoo ya!
TiredMom

Return to Pediatrics