Looking for a second opinion in Southern New Jersey

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Looking for a second opinion in Southern New Jersey

Postby lhodnett73 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of good doctors in Southern New Jersey (Delaware or Pennsylvania) for a second opinion? We are currently seeing Dr. Campbell at DuPont Hospital in Delaware.
Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Campbell?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!
Lisa
Mom to Kelli and Ryan both with Syringomyelia
lhodnett73

Postby smithkath » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Lisa,
I am also from South Jersey and I also have syringomyelia and chiari malformation. My 7 year old son was diagnosed this year with tethered cord syndrome and chiari malformation. After enduring years of misdiagnosis, attitudes of "all in your head", unnecessary surgeries, I found the Chiari Institute in New York. My first response was that it was way too far...after going to other doctors yet again with no help, I again found myself questioning where to go and what to do. At my wits end, I thought I should go the extra step and go to The Chiari Institute. The best thing I ever did!!! Aside from the car ride (about 3 hours if traffic), the most educated, compassionate, and accomodating Drs. I've ever been to. I have also been to Dupont & CHOP for other issues, but for the diagnosis of TCS and CM, there is no where else I would go. He is being carefully followed at this point from TCI and will probably have surgeries in the near future...you can e-mail me privately at smithkath@comcast.net for more info.
smithkath

Postby brianfsmom » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi

I live in central NJ and we went into New York City for my son's surgery. His neurologist is in Neptune, at Jersey Shore Medical Center, but he had his surgery at NY Hospital, with Dr. Souweidane, who was wonderful.

If you really do not want to cross into NY, Dr. Neil Feldstein is also excellent, and he has an office in New Jersey, in the Brunswick area (I believe, could be wrong on this). He operates out of Columbia Presbyterian, but he is in the NJ office one day a week. We ended up just driving into NY because we were anxious for an appointment, you have to wait longer for the NJ office.

Otherwise, you could try heading south and go to Johns Hopkins.

Good luck!
brianfsmom

Postby chadry » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:52 am

Hi I am new to this board. My 11 year daughter was diagnosed last year with Chiari I. It was very confusing to me but after extensive reading about it I have a handle on it somewhat. I would like to know about your experience at Dupont. Our ped. recommended a doctor there for a second opinion but I no longer see his name in the directory. I did see the doctor you mentioed though on the registry. I took my daughter to see the chief of neurosurgery at Children's Hospital in Phila. His name was Dr. Sutton and I was very comfortable with him. I got his name from another mother in my area whose child aslo has chiari. She has been taking her child to him for yerars. I was actually very impressed with the service I received from his office one day. The school nurse had called me about a problem my daughter was having with her eyes. It turned out not to be serious but I called their office. The nurse took the info and said the doctor would call me back. I expected to wait a few hours but he callled me back within 10 minutes and put my fears to rest. That meant a great deal to me, since I only had my daughter there one time. I am looking for a second opinion myself so any info you may come across would be helpful. I live also in south jersey near the DEl. Memorial bridge, how about you. I am surprised about the lack of knowledge about this condition in the schools. I had to basically tell the last 2 school nurses about it and then they had to do some reading on there own. They had no idea about this condition. Did you find the same experience with your schools. I was fortunate though because there was a woman I worked with that has mentioned to one time about her child's condition and I remembered it had a strange name so I went right to her and found that it was the same condition so I had her to give me her resources. I think I would have been so lost at that point as to what to do. Lots of luck on your quest and hopefully we can give each other some info.
Chadry
chadry

Return to Pediatrics