Hearing sensitivity with CM/SM

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Hearing sensitivity with CM/SM

Postby memom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:05 pm

My daughter, MaryEmma (7 yrs old) is 2 months post decompression surgery. She has CM 1.5 and SM T 5-8. She feels much better, no more headaches, double vision or neck pain but now that school has started she is having difficulty concentrating. Her vision is poor - 20/70 we are seeing an opthalmologist for this next week. She has always been sensitive to loud noises but now cannot tolerate normal noise level in the classroom. She is not able to complete her assignments and continues to say that if anyone is talking, she cannot concentrate. Anyone else dealing with this? Is there therapy for this? Is this part of the "brain fog" that I hear about post surgery? Thanks!
Mother of a beautiful 9 year old girl with CM 1.5, SM T 5-8 and Hypermobility. Decompressed 7/09.
memom

Re: Hearing sensitivity with CM/SM

Postby eilersfamily » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:42 am

My son also complains of noises. And we have discovered his eyes are very impaired and not working together at all, which makes reading, writing, and overall focusing extremely difficult. We are trying vision therapy for the eyes and seeing improvement. As for school...we are homeschooling this year. Much luck to you and hugs to your daughter. It is so hard to see them overwhelmed with daily life.

Blessings,
Rachel- Iowa
Rachel~ Iowa

Son Jaxon dx 10-04 CM, decomp. 11-14-06 CM,SM,Scoliosis
eilersfamily

Re: Hearing sensitivity with CM/SM

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Many kids with Chiari are also dx with attention deficit disorder. It might be a good idea to have him checked by a psychiatrist to rule it out. My daughter has hearing problems- she gets whooshing and tinnitus- ringing in the ears and recently she has had a new problem, her hearing fades out when upright. they aren't sure why! :roll:
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Return to Pediatrics