update after tethered cord surgery

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

update after tethered cord surgery

Postby pattip448 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi everyone I know I havent been on much in the last yr or so but just wanted to let u know my 17 yr old son had tethered cord surgery after many years of difficulties . Matt had his surgery up here in Calgary Canada on Monday Sept 21st.

Matt said he is amazed at the difference . Not a single headache since the surgery and neuropathy is gone and his feet that used to be grey /black are now pink again .He is up walking around and says the surgical pain has been nothing compared to what he had presurgery. Also says he has bladder sensation again .He was in hospital for 48 hrs and then was discharged home. He just has to make sure he doesnt stay sitting or lying down too long or his back spasms a bit.

We go back to our gp in a week and see the ns again in a month.

The NS said when they saw the filum it was very thick and tight and it moved up
significantly when it was sectioned.

Lets hope this great progress continues.

Pattip
pattip448

Re: update after tethered cord surgery

Postby Janice » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi Patti,

Thanks for the update on Matt. I pray he continues to see improvement throughout his recovery, and that the overall surgical outcome is successful.

Take care, (((((Hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby youngwife » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Patti!

Hey there! It is so good to hear from you again. I have wondered about your son. Rachael also has had a tethered cord release surgery. Her's was on Aug. 25th. As of now, her bladder is the best improvement. But, we are thankful that she is not worse. :|

Please keep us updated on Matt.

Blessings,

Rebecca
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby jupes » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:09 am

Great news! Pray he continues to improve!
Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Return to Pediatrics