Does your child want to go to Camp?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Does your child want to go to Camp?

Postby Sara » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:27 pm

ASAP has teamed up with Miracle Wish for Chiari to send kids to CAMP! If your child with Chiari or SM has not been able to attend a camp due to their disabilities, now is the chance to change it. The whole family can attend this camp for the weekend. There is no charge for this camp but there is limited space available so you should apply soon. Here is the information:

Victory Junction Family Weekend Camp
November 13-15, 2009
Victory Junction is a year-round camping environment for children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses. Founded by Kyle and Pattie Petty in honor of their son Adam, the camp is located in Randleman, N.C. Victory Junction’s mission is to provide life-changing camping experiences that are exciting, fun and empowering, in a safe and medically-sound environment.

They will host a weekend camp November 13-15 especially for those affected by Chiari, syringomyelia and related disorders. Visit www.VictoryJunction.org or for more information contact Kim Cochran, Camper Recruiter. Call (336) 495-2017 or email kcochran@victoryjunction.org
Sara
Site Admin

Re: Does your child want to go to Camp?

Postby youngwife » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us, Sara!
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby mumof4darlings » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 am

oh wow, this looks fantastic, we want to go! what a shame we are in the uk!
mumof4darlings

Postby lttutrow » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:06 am

It was not difficult at all to register, you can do most of it with an online application. You can fax them a copy of the physical form and immunization record from your physician, and that's it!! The camp cost is....FREE!!!.... you just have to cover the cost of transportation to and from the camp.
lttutrow

Postby youngwife » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 am

Well, it looks as if vaccinations may be an issue for our family. :cry: The children were so very excited about going, too. :|
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby lttutrow » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:44 am

Did you email them? Maybe there is some kind of exception?
lttutrow

Postby Sara » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:22 pm

https://registration.campbrain.com/Defa ... tion&G=303
will bring you to the online application. You can ask them about vacinations, contact the recruiter.
Sara
Site Admin

Postby youngwife » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Yes, I called the recruiter, and she said that the only exception was if a doctor would sign that it was medically necessary for us to not vaccinate. I am just crushed.
youngwife

Postby Sara » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Did you discuss it with the doctor? They may not have an issue writing the note. My daughter is exempt from certain vaccines and the doctor had to sign a waiver for her to attend school.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Postby youngwife » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 am

Sara,

I am taking my son in today, and I will be mentioning this to him. In our area, there are not many doctors that see the vaccination issue as I do. So, I am not holding out much hope. :(

Thank you for the suggestion!
youngwife

Return to Pediatrics