To tell or not to tell....

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

To tell or not to tell....

Postby nomadmom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

My Son (13) had a VERY successful chiari decompression this past June. Do I tell the parents of his sleep over party he plans on going to?

I just didn't know, since he's doing well?

Thoughts and comments very much appreciated!

Thanks!

gabrielle
nomadmom

Re: To tell or not to tell....

Postby lttutrow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:41 pm

In my experience, it depends on the details. Does he have any restrictions you would want to have the parents know of? For example, my 11 y.o. can't do a trampolene because he will guarantee himself a horrible headache. But, when he went to a summer birthday party, he didn't want to seem like odd man out, so he got on it on his knees and somehow thought that would solve the problem?!? He ended up chipping a tooth on his knee... Lesson learned the hard way! Does your son have any issues with head pain still or an action plan for them they should be aware of?

My son has a nut allergy, so he travels with a small backpack that I've included a copy of his insurance card, his meds, list of meds/drs./emergency info. and brief bullet points of major medical stuff in case he should have an emergency. I make sure the families know he has this just in case.

On the other hand, my 12 y.o. daughter has had more success after her surgery, and there is nothing I have had to tell parents when she has had an overnight. She has her cell phone with her, and she is comfortable enough talking about things that I know she'll call me if she ever started not feeling well.
lttutrow

Return to Pediatrics