Arnold Chiari type 3

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Arnold Chiari type 3

Postby moji64 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

I am an aide to a 10 year old girl with arnold chiari type 3 malformation with severe hydrocephalus. does anyone have any information on what she is capable of learning? she has a very strong will and can remember things, but doesn't seem to grasp the concept of color association or letters or numbers. i'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with a type 2 or type 3 child. thanks, jorie
moji64

Re: Arnold Chiari type 3

Postby lcolangelo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi,
My daughter has a chiari 2 malformation-- but from what I understand that is quite different from a chiari 3-- my daughter doesn't have any learning problems-- I don't think learning problems are a result of a chiari-- unless the child has other underlying conditions (i.e. has mental retardation, learning disablity, etc.) that are a seperate conditon. Hope I gave you the right info!
Lisa
lcolangelo

Re: Arnold Chiari type 3

Postby amr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:37 am

My daughter has Hydrocephalus (not severe) diagnosed at the same time as ACM 1 & SM.

Her memory is affected as is her ability to read then understand what she has read (all to do with how information is processed if I understand it right)

I am in the UK and we have an organisation called ASBAH (Association for Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus) who produce information leaflets it might be worth you looking there and I think there is a similar organisation in the US

I think it is one of those things that affects each individual differently.

Sorry I can't be more help

AM
Mum to Natalie diagnosed Jan 2008 (aged 14), ACM, Syringomyelia, Hydrocephalus. Decompression Jan 2008, VP shunt Feb 2008. Perfectly normal teenager and don't we know it!
amr

Return to Pediatrics