Are these symptoms of SM or something else...

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Are these symptoms of SM or something else...

Postby julz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:38 pm

I haven't been on here for while...life has been a little busy these days.

My son's teachers...(my son is almost 9 and in grade 4) have been complaining that he is very distractible, can't concentrate at all, is very fidgety (he always has been), is uncoordinated therefore doesn't do well in gym, is disorganized and all of this is effecting his school work. He's basically failing math and english. The last little while he's been complaining about some leg pain and has been falling a little more than usual. His teacher wants us to have him tested for ADD but we're very apprehensive because of his syrinx, I was told that it can do weird things to kids a miss diagnosis for ADD included. As far as we know, he does not have chiari just the syrinx in his back. He just had his yearly MRI and we get the results in a couple of weeks...that's when our appointment is. Can a syrinx put pressure on the spinal cord and then mix things up in the brain to cause these issues? I was just wondering what others thought about this or if anyone had any input and or experience with these kinds of symptoms.
julz

Re: Are these symptoms of SM or something else...

Postby razzle » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 am

What are the symptoms?
Symptoms develop slowly over time, but can come on suddenly after a fall or minor trauma. Sensation may be affected first. Some common symptoms include:

•Loss of sensitivity to hot and cold
•Numbness and tingling
•Bowel and bladder function may be affected
•Scoliosis
•Pain
•Muscle weakness
•Spasticity
•Paralysis (in severe cases, quadriplegia)
Scoliosis may be the only symptom in children. Often people with scoliosis undergo spinal MR imaging because of an atypical left-sided thoracic curve.

Many individuals suffer from chronic pain and some will develop neuropathic pain syndromes. This type of pain is difficult to treat. A large percentage of people have headaches which can be severe
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: Are these symptoms of SM or something else...

Postby donny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:14 am

Hello, I normally dont find myself posting in the pediatric place but your post got my attention.
I have a stepson and a son who both are ADD my stepson also has ODD (oppositional defiency dissorder)and my son has pervasive developmental dissorded, ( a mild form of autism) neither one has a syrinx or cm.
I dont know your chikd so of course I cant say whether or not he has ADD but with the two mentioned above they were both diagnosed before they entered the first grade. They were figity, disruptive, acting out in class, couldn't concentrate etc etc. The diagnosis was made as they were entering school though, by age 9-10 they were getting off the meds used to treat ADD because they didnt need them any longer.
To Add to this the pain and numbing and just being very uncomfortable do to the syrinx seems like in a child could cause some figiting being distracted lack of concentration etc etc....
If He does have ADD on top of the syrinx there are medications that can help with both the syrinx and the ADD and the meds are used for both.
Getting tested for ADD is painless you just take him to a phychiatrist and they ask you qustions and and observe him and of course they do a few little tests with him too but no biggie
Hope this helps some
Take care
Don
donny

Return to Pediatrics