4 YO to have MRI... check for ACM

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

4 YO to have MRI... check for ACM

Postby TiredMom » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Our developmental pedi is sending our 4 yo for an MRI on the 28th to check to see if she too has an ACM (her brother has one that's being monitored... not "surgical" at this point). Tori doesn't have headaches and hasn't had any seizure like episodes (like Preston does), but has all of the rest of the symptoms. Of course, they can all be chaled up to her existing genetic isses (like Preston's are for the most part); but, we've got to get her checked to make sure.

I'm absolutely NOT looking forward to this. Preston (age 10 at last MRI) was hard enough to deal with. Tori's fear of doctors/hospitals exceeds his tremendously. They have her down for full anesthesia (forget sedation, we're going for down and out).

Am going to have to leave dad at home as this is his little girl and he gets very antsy/upset any time docs do anything at all to her (including pricking her finger for a CBC); and we're having it done at the local "children's" hospital (which caused us all sorts of nightmares last time as Pres has anxiety/Asperger's Syndrome... Tori does too).

Should be fun. Personally, I'm going to need a few margaritas once I get home after this one.
Mom of 9 yo boy with Chiari I, Pineal Cyst, Microdup. Synd. 15q, Mito. Disorder, Ctrll. Sleep Apnea/Sleep Mvmt. Disorder, Asperger's, Hypotonia, Aphasia, GAD, OCD, occipital headaches, etc. Visit at http://caringbridge.org/visit/prestonbyrne
TiredMom

Re: 4 YO to have MRI... check for ACM

Postby lttutrow » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Maybe a few margaritas?!!? I'm so sorry that Tori is having to have the dreaded icky MRI too! Does bribery work for her??
lttutrow

Postby TiredMom » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:12 am

Bribery doesn't work and her NL has determined she's too young for anxiety meds. Jokingly (maybe) told the NL he could just put the RX in my name. If she doesn't have something for anxiety, everyone else is going to need something.

I'm just hoping she doesn't have issues with the anesthetic.
Mom of 9 yo boy with Chiari I, Pineal Cyst, Microdup. Synd. 15q, Mito. Disorder, Ctrll. Sleep Apnea/Sleep Mvmt. Disorder, Asperger's, Hypotonia, Aphasia, GAD, OCD, occipital headaches, etc. Visit at http://caringbridge.org/visit/prestonbyrne
TiredMom

Postby TiredMom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 am

Everything turned out "normal." Not on the MRI indicates extracranial features are "unremarkable."
TiredMom

Return to Pediatrics