So mad!

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

So mad!

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm

I called to check on the referal that they Ped's office made for me. The Dr.'s office said that There was no appointmebt for Hailey in their computers. I imediatley called the Peds. office they said that they had made the app. with Dr. Burnett at Vanderbilt. I looked him up and discovered that he was not a Nuero Surgeon he is a Neurologist that specializes in Neuromuscula Diseases in children. I went ahead and called to confirm my daughters app. and guess what? No app. When I called the Ped. back they said that they would look into it and call me back. I asked them why they app. was not made with a Surgeon and they said they weren't sure but that they would get back with me and then hung up. I'm so mad. And starting to feel helpless. Why won't they listen to me? Is it usually this hard to get a re-ferral to a surgeon?
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: So mad!

Postby tnajk » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Does your insurance require you to have a referral? Some do and some do not. If not, just call and make the appointment yourself. If they do, then find the Doctor/s that you want your child to see and then call your pediatrician and tell them this is who I would like a 2nd opinion with, here is the name and number...

Over the years since my son's diagnosis 8 yrs ago we've done it both ways. Our pediatricians' (2 different ones because we moved out of State) never gave us any grief along the way and always called in the referral. If you are asking the Neurologist you saw for a referral you won't get far. They don't have time for that and from our experience, many Neuro docs are pretty egotistical regarding their opinions. If you want another opinion, you'll have to do the leg work yourself to get an appointment elsewhere. They won't do it for you.

Hope this helps!
tnajk

Re: So mad!

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am dealing with the Pediatritions office. I have never had any trouble with getting them to do referals before (Son with special allergy needs) Yeah when I called the Neurologist for a referal they never even called me back so I figured i would have to go through a different source. I will call the Ped. again in the morning and tell them exactly who I want to see. I was more frustrated that I had already told them who I wanted and that's not who they scheduled me with. We've alredy waited two months and then I call and she's not even in the computer. It's just frustration.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Return to Pediatrics